Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question on Veritas file system.. Post 302857477 by samnyc on Thursday 26th of September 2013 12:05:41 PM
Old 09-26-2013
Question on Veritas file system..

Hi,

I am on Solaris 10 server which is running Veritas. It's E420 server with two drives. I don't know much about Veritas. The other guy who works on this, on vacation this week. :-) Any way, looks like I have hard drive issue on the server.

Code:

When I do iostat -E. I see this. 

sd0       Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAP3367N SUN36G  Revision: 0301 Serial No: 0308N005ER
Size: 36.42GB <36418595328 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
sd2       Soft Errors: 1494 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAP3367N SUN36G  Revision: 0301 Serial No: 0308N005D8
Size: 36.42GB <36418595328 bytes>
Media Error: 1 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 1494
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
sd8       Soft Errors: 3 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: TOSHIBA  Product: XM6201TASUN32XCD Revision: 1103 Serial No:
Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 3 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Code:
root} df -h
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol
                       992M   210M   723M    23%    /
/devices                 0K     0K     0K     0%    /devices
ctfs                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/contract
proc                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /proc
mnttab                   0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/mnttab
swap                   4.2G   1.2M   4.2G     1%    /etc/svc/volatile
objfs                    0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/object
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/usr
                       5.8G   3.9G   1.8G    69%    /usr
fd                       0K     0K     0K     0%    /dev/fd
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var
                       3.9G   3.4G   478M    89%    /var
swap                   4.2G   2.5M   4.2G     1%    /tmp
swap                   4.2G    80K   4.2G     1%    /var/run
swap                   4.2G     0K   4.2G     0%    /dev/vx/dmp
swap                   4.2G     0K   4.2G     0%    /dev/vx/rdmp
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/opt
                       4.9G   583M   4.3G    12%    /opt
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/ilxD
                        12G  1001M    10G     9%    /ilxD

How do I know if the drives are mirrored or not?

If I need to change the drive, is it simple as pull the bad drive and replace with the new drive or is there more to this? Please help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Veritas File System

Hello All. I have a question concerning VFS (Veritas File System). I are attempting to upgrade Solaris 2.6 UFS to the VFS (Veritas File System). We use Veritas to perform all our backups. I have been unable to find any documentation on SUN's or Veritas's website. The server's are SUN 4500 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KaEH
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

veritas vcs \ file system docs req.

hi if anyone has docs (corporate internals on how to setup vcs mfor example, especially with Veritas VM, pleas let me know..i need exposure experience in this area of Enterprise Administration thanks jasmine (SCSA & MCSE) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasmine_uk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about this veritas command

vxdg -g mktdg adddisk mktdg02=c0b0t3d0 i know this command adds c0b0t3d0 to the disk group mktdg but what i dont know is what the significance of mktdg02 is. i mean, what is it? what does it stand for?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Veritas Question

Can someone tell me what command it is to list the disk in a specified disk group. I dont want to see disks in all groups, just the disk in a specified group. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

5. Solaris

swap space in veritas file system

hi every one , i know how to add swap space in ufs file system. but i m facing problem in veritas file system . i wants to know how will i create swap or add new swap space in existing swap space . Note: disk under veritas volume manager control . please help me to solve this issue . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy123
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Veritas Storage Question

How do you get the total size of the LUNS currently online on a Solaris 10 server running Symantec Storage Foundation? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Why Veritas is not used for root file system.

Dear All, In our environment we use SDS (Solaris Vlume Manager) for root file system.So, I am wondering why Veritas is not use for the same. root@abc # df -kh Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 30G 22G 6.9G 77% / /devices ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reboot
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Veritas mirroring question

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Veritas on Linux machines and have a disk group with 64 disks that we are migrating to 64 new disks. This means I'll be mirroring the old to the new. So my question is this - is there a way to mirror a specific volume to a range of disks as opposed to listing each disk by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_D
0 Replies

9. Solaris

restore dump from veritas format using ufs file system

hi all i have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

10. Solaris

how to restore backup from veritas vm in ufs file system

Hi all I have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. backup was taken... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
0 Replies
vfstab(4)                                                          File Formats                                                          vfstab(4)

NAME
vfstab - table of file system defaults DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/vfstab describes defaults for each file system. The information is stored in a table with the following column headings: device device mount FS fsck mount mount to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options The fields in the table are space-separated and show the resource name (device to mount), the raw device to fsck (device to fsck), the default mount directory (mount point), the name of the file system type (FS type), the number used by fsck to decide whether to check the file system automatically (fsck pass), whether the file system should be mounted automatically by mountall (mount at boot), and the file system mount options (mount options). (See respective mount file system man page below in SEE ALSO for mount options.) A '-' is used to indicate no entry in a field. This may be used when a field does not apply to the resource being mounted. The getvfsent(3C) family of routines is used to read and write to /etc/vfstab. /etc/vfstab can be used to specify swap areas. An entry so specified, (which can be a file or a device), will automatically be added as a swap area by the /sbin/swapadd script when the system boots. To specify a swap area, the device-to-mount field contains the name of the swap file or device, the FS-type is "swap", mount-at-boot is "no" and all other fields have no entry. EXAMPLES
The following are vfstab entries for various file system types supported in the Solaris operating environment. Example 1: NFS and UFS Mounts The following entry invokes NFS to automatically mount the directory /usr/local of the server example1 on the client's /usr/local directory with read-only permission: example1:/usr/local - /usr/local nfs - yes ro The following example assumes a small departmental mail setup, in which clients mount /var/mail from a server mailsvr. The following entry would be listed in each client's vfstab: mailsvr:/var/mail - /var/mail nfs - yes intr,bg The following is an example for a UFS file system in which logging is enabled: /dev/dsk/c2t10d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c2t10d0s0 /export/local ufs 3 yes logging See mount_nfs(1M) for a description of NFS mount options and mount_ufs(1M) for a description of UFS options. Example 2: pcfs Mounts The following example mounts a pcfs file system on a fixed hard disk on an x86 machine: /dev/dsk/c1t2d0p0:c - /win98 pcfs - yes - The example below mounts a Jaz drive on a SPARC machine. Normally, the volume management daemon (see vold(1M)) handles mounting of remov- able media, obviating a vfstab entry. If you choose to specify a device that supports removable media in vfstab, be sure to set the mount- at-boot field to no, as below. Such an entry presumes you are not running vold. /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s2:c - /jaz pcfs - no - For removable media on a SPARC machine, the convention for the slice portion of the disk identifier is to specify s2, which stands for the entire medium. For pcfs file systems on x86 machines, note that the disk identifier uses a p (p0) and a logical drive (c, in the /win98 example above) for a pcfs logical drive. See mount_pcfs(1M) for syntax for pcfs logical drives and for pcfs-specific mount options. Example 3: CacheFS Mount Below is an example for a CacheFS file system. Because of the length of this entry and the fact that vfstab entries cannot be continued to a second line, the vfstab fields are presented here in a vertical format. In re-creating such an entry in your own vfstab, you would enter values as you would for any vfstab entry, on a single line. device to mount: svr1:/export/abc device to fsck: /usr/abc mount point: /opt/cache FS type: cachefs fsck pass: 7 mount at boot: yes mount options: local-access,bg,nosuid,demandconst,backfstype=nfs,cachedir=/opt/cache See mount_cachefs(1M) for CacheFS-specific mount options. Example 4: Loopback File System Mount The following is an example of mounting a loopback (lofs) file system: /export/test - /opt/test lofs - yes - See lofs(7FS) for an overview of the loopback file system. SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mount(1M), mount_cachefs(1M), mount_hsfs(1M), mount_nfs(1M), mount_tmpfs(1M), mount_ufs(1M), swap(1M), getvfsent(3C) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 21 Jun 2001 vfstab(4)