Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Event processing & machine learning in monitoring system Post 302857261 by blackrageous on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 06:53:54 PM
Old 09-25-2013
This is a broad subject. Technology has never really been the issue of effectively monitoring an IT infrastructure. We've had the tools for over 20 years now and the problem has always been effective use of and implemenation of tools, It should start from the top with 4 things: a plan, a team/roles, the toolset, and processes to manage the infrastructure.

You raise the issue of non trivial methods so that suggests you're more interested in technical mechanisms. In this case it's best to ask something more specific. The best area I can point you to is this concept that is emerging and it's arguably steeped in virtualization. The concept is Reliability and Serviceabilty (RAS). Computation is becoming non-stop and this means that you can still compute and service the machine at the same time. Hardware reliability is well defined and there are predictive methods for handling this. In fact,every component, network, o/s... is well defined...so I don't really understand the "non-trivial" methods part. Whatever the specific, monitoring in general should support the emerging concept of RAS. Now that term has been mainly associated with hardware, but I think the concept extends to the entire infrastructure. I would be interested to hear more of what you have been working on and what you're targeting.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies
ANKI(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ANKI(1)

NAME
anki - flashcard program for language learning DESCRIPTION
Anki is a program designed to help you remember facts (such as words and phrases in a foreign language) as easily, quickly and efficiently as possible. To do this, it tracks how well you remember each fact, and uses that information to optimally schedule review times. With a minimal amount of effort, you can greatly increase the amount of material you remember, making study more productive, and more fun. Anki is based on a theory called spaced repetition. In simple terms, it means that each time you review some material, you should wait longer than last time before reviewing it again. This maximizes the time spent studying difficult material and minimizes the time spent reviewing things you already know. The concept is simple, but the vast majority of memory trainers and flashcard programs out there either avoid the concept all together, or implement inflexible and suboptimal methods that were originally designed for pen and paper. Anki's primary target is people studying Japanese, and Japanese native speakers studying English. However, it can be used to remember any- thing at all, and there are some users who are studying Chinese and possibly other languages with it. OPTIONS
anki does not take command line options. Its interface is entirely graphical. SEE ALSO
Anki home page: <http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html> Community support thread: <http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=556&p=1> AUTHOR
anki was written by Damien Elmes <anki@ichi2.net>. This manual page was written by Nicholas Breen <nbreen@ofb.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). August 11, 2007 ANKI(1)