Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files Post 302857071 by Subbeh on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 11:29:44 AM
Old 09-25-2013
I only count 18 characters after BIG, if that's the case you can use this:
Code:
grep -oE BIG.\{18\} file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find string and return next 2 lines

I am trying to create a script to search for a string within a file, and if found, return the next two lines. Example file:- msj mh query return this 1 return this 2 mjk mhj query return this 3 return this 4 So the script would identify the string "query" and then return the lines... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files

Hello friends, I have find a paticular string from the files present in my user for example: a username and password is hardcoded in multiple files which present in the my user.so I have to search about username in which files it is available.there are several dirctories are there,so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find string and return following characters from list of files

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX, but hopefully some-one can help me with this: I am using the following code to find files with the name "example.xml": find . -name "example.xml" -print that would print me a list like the example here: ./dir1/dir2/example.xml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boijie
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert multiple characters in string

Hello, newb here :o How do I add square brackets before and after the first character in a string using sed? e.g. 0123456 123456 My attempts have been fruitless. sed 's/.\{0\}//' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting | Return list of unique characters in files

Hi, I am trying to script the below, but I am not very good at it :( Your help would be greatly appreciated. 1. read all files in the directory in strings strings *.* 2. in each file, for each line that contains "ABCD", store characters located at position 521 and 522 of this line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
9 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Perl(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       File::Find::Rule::Perl(3pm)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Perl - Common rules for searching for Perl things SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule (); use File::Find::Rule::Perl (); # Find all Perl files smaller than 10k my @files = File::Find::Rule->perl_file ->size('<10Ki') ->in('dir'); # Locate all the modules that PAUSE will index my @mod = File::Find::Rule->no_index ->perl_module ->in('My-Distribution'); DESCRIPTION
I write a lot of things that muck with Perl files. And it always annoyed me that finding "perl files" requires a moderately complex File::Find::Rule pattern. File::Find::Rule::Perl provides methods for finding various types Perl-related files, or replicating search queries run on a distribution in various parts of the CPAN ecosystem. METHODS
perl_module The "perl_module" rule locates perl modules. That is, files that are named "*.pm". This rule is equivalent to "->"file->name( '*.pm' )> and is included primarily for completeness. perl_test The "perl_test" rule locates perl test scripts. That is, files that are named "*.t". This rule is equivalent to "->"file->name( '*.t' )> and is included primarily for completeness. perl_installer The "perl_installer" rule locates perl distribution installers. That is, it locates "Makefile.PL" and "Build.PL" files. perl_script The "perl_script" rule locates perl scripts. This is any file that ends in .pl, or any files without extensions that have a perl "hash-bang" line. perl_file The "perl_file" rule locates all files containing Perl code. This includes all the files matching the above "perl_module", "perl_test", "perl_installer" and "perl_script" rules. no_index # Provide the rules directly $rule->no_index( directory => [ 'inc', 't', 'examples' ], file => [ 'Foo.pm', 'lib/Foo.pm' ], ); # Provide a META.yml to use $rule->no_index( 'META.yml' ); # Provide a dist root directory to look for a META.yml in $rule->no_index( 'My-Distribution' ); # Automatically pick up a META.yml from the target directory $rule->no_index->in( 'My-Distribution' ); The "no_index" method applies a set of rules as per the no_index section in a "META.yml" file. SUPPORT
Bugs should always be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=File-Find-Rule-Perl <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=File-Find-Rule-Perl> For other issues, contact the maintainer AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
<http://ali.as/>, File::Find::Rule, File::Find::Rule::PPI COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.12.4 2011-10-31 File::Find::Rule::Perl(3pm)