Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Event processing & machine learning in monitoring system Post 302857067 by zaxxon on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 11:26:42 AM
Old 09-25-2013
I had bad experience with expensive tools in the past, where OS names were listed in the white papers and sales publications, even in the header of scripts, which simply did not work or were a pain to get to work.
Some monitoring solutions can't come out of the box as some demands for applications etc. is far too special so you often have a lot of coding or at least configuration works.

Some companies even charge insane prices for additional probes/modules/plugins/spys (whatever they call them), that are so badly programmed or simple, you could think they are making a bad joke.
I would always setup a detailed Prove of Concept, invite the company and have detailed things tested, before buying anything. The sales often promise a lot, while the techs take the pain or the hotline/support is pushed to the front to block off the customer more or less.
Nagios, as a free tool for example, offers a lot of plugins that cover most things, but the plugins you can get for free are from very good to flawed. Again, sometimes you have to write stuff on your own but can offer them for exchange, if allowed Smilie

my 2 cents

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies
Nagios::Plugin::Config(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Nagios::Plugin::Config(3pm)

NAME
Nagios::Plugin::Config - read nagios plugin .ini style config files SYNOPSIS
# Read given nagios plugin config file $Config = Nagios::Plugin::Config->read( '/etc/nagios/plugins.ini' ); # Search for and read default nagios plugin config file $Config = Nagios::Plugin::Config->read(); # Access sections and properties (returns scalars or arrayrefs) $rootproperty = $Config->{_}->{rootproperty}; $one = $Config->{section}->{one}; $Foo = $Config->{section}->{Foo}; DESCRIPTION
Nagios::Plugin::Config is a subclass of the excellent Config::Tiny, with the following changes: o Repeated keys are allowed within sections, returning lists instead of scalars o Write functionality has been removed i.e. access is read only o Nagios::Plugin::Config searches for a default nagios plugins file if no explicit filename is given to "read()". The current standard locations checked are: /etc/nagios/plugins.ini /usr/local/nagios/etc/plugins.ini /usr/local/etc/nagios /etc/opt/nagios/plugins.ini /etc/nagios-plugins.ini /usr/local/etc/nagios-plugins.ini /etc/opt/nagios-plugins.ini To use a custom location, set a "NAGIOS_CONFIG_PATH" environment variable to the set of directories that should be checked. The first "plugins.ini" or "nagios-plugins.ini" file found will be used. SEE ALSO
Config::Tiny, Nagios::Plugin AUTHORS
This code is maintained by the Nagios Plugin Development Team: <http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net>. COPYRIGHT and LICENCE Copyright (C) 2006-2007 by Nagios Plugin Development Team This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-03 Nagios::Plugin::Config(3pm)