Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Final Year Project
Operating Systems Linux Final Year Project Post 302857033 by gacanepa on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 10:21:41 AM
Old 09-25-2013
Ok. You didn't mention if this "Final year project" is for a certain class, an entire Linux administration course, or a whole career.
Assuming either of the first 2 options that I just mentioned, I would do 3 things integrated into one:
1) Set up a samba share that can be accessed from Windows / Linux / Mac boxes. Add screen caps from each system showing how it works. Consider the possibility of adding network printers as well using samba or cups.
2) Using network devices (such as printers and other Linux boxes), set up a NMS (Network Management System, such as JFFNMS, Nagios, Icinga, Zabbix, etc) to monitor those network devices.
3) Set up a firewall / proxy / mail server using iptables / Squid / Postfix.
Well, I think that would be it. Hope any of this helps Smilie.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. What is on Your Mind?

Final Year Project dilemma

Hello everyone. Need some final year project ideas - what is actual/feasible and beneficial experience-wise? Preferably something related to Networking / Linux / UNIX / Security . Appreciate any help/idea. E.K. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminiscent
0 Replies
NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					     NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)

NAME
network_namespaces - overview of Linux network namespaces DESCRIPTION
Network namespaces provide isolation of the system resources associated with networking: network devices, IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks, IP routing tables, firewall rules, the /proc/net directory (which is a symbolic link to /proc/PID/net), the /sys/class/net directory, various files under /proc/sys/net, port numbers (sockets), and so on. A physical network device can live in exactly one network namespace. When a network namespace is freed (i.e., when the last process in the namespace terminates), its physical network devices are moved back to the initial network namespace (not to the parent of the process). A virtual network (veth(4)) device pair provides a pipe-like abstraction that can be used to create tunnels between network namespaces, and can be used to create a bridge to a physical network device in another namespace. When a namespace is freed, the veth(4) devices that it contains are destroyed. Use of network namespaces requires a kernel that is configured with the CONFIG_NET_NS option. SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), veth(4), proc(5), sysfs(5), namespaces(7), user_namespaces(7), brctl(8), ip(8), ip-address(8), ip- link(8), ip-netns(8), iptables(8), ovs-vsctl(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2018-02-02 NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)