Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pick a line in file 2 basing on array in file1 Post 302856847 by ahamed101 on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 01:11:10 AM
Old 09-25-2013
You shouldn't be using caps in the awk script.

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a binary file into 2 basing on 2 delemiter string

Hi all, I have a binary file (orig.dat) and two special delimiter strings 'AAA' and 'BBB'. My binary file's content is as follow: <Data1.1>AAA<Data1.2>BBB <Data2.1>AAA<Data2.2>BBB ... <DataN.1>AAA<DataN.2>BBB DataX.Y might have any length, and contains any kind of special/printable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Averell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple fields in file1 to file2 and print line and next line

Hello, I have two files that I need to compare and print out the line from file2 that has the first 6 fields matching the first 6 fields in file1. Complicating this are the following restrictions 1. file1 is only a few thousand lines at most and file2 is greater than 2 million 2. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillesc_mac
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a single file into several others basing on the last column

Hi folks, Happy new year. I have a file 'filename' that i wd like to split basing on the contents in the last column. The 'filename' content looks like 256772744788,9,11 256772744805,9,11 256772744792,9,11 256775543055,10,12 256782625357,9,12 256772368953,10,13 256772627735,10,13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerkesler
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

awk to pick out more than one line

This really is a dummy question but I'm stuck and out of time... I have a large file and out of it I only want to pick out lines starting with either "Pressure" or "N". I still need these lines to be in their original order. example of text Pressure 3 N 2 N 3 bla bla bla bla Pressure 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenjen_mt
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick a card from an array in bash

Hello, I am trying to use $RANDOM to pick cards from an array in bash. I created the script below to give me a selection everytime I run it, but the output is always like this: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Jack Queen King Ace of Clubs Diamonds Hearts Spades. Can you please help me? I expected it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using regex's from file1, print line and line after matches in file2

Good day, I have a list of regular expressions in file1. For each match in file2, print the containing line and the line after. file1: file2: Output: I can match a regex and print the line and line after awk '{lines = $0} /Macrosiphum_rosae/ {print lines ; print lines } ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting file basing on the timestamp substring in the file name

Hello, I have in my backup folder, files with names convention like this : randomFileNames_13-02-2014_23h13m09+1392333189 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_02h13m09+1392343989 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_04h13m09+1392351189 etc.... Base on timestamp at end of the filename, I would to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuyetti
7 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-j file_number field] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. (The argument to -a must not be preceded by a space; see the COMPATIBILITY section.) -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. (To distinguish between this and -a file_number, join currently requires that the latter not include any white space.) -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form ``file_num- ber.field_number'' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named ``1.2''. These options are available only so historic shell scripts don't require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD