Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX "Accidentally" destroyed my filesystem Post 302856269 by bstring on Monday 23rd of September 2013 01:54:54 PM
Old 09-23-2013
"Accidentally" destroyed my filesystem

I was trying to delete and recreate a filesystem, thinking it would be a quick way of deleting all of the files off of it, and I fear that I messed up. Here is the original entry from /etc/filesystems:
Code:
data01:
        dev             = /dev/fslv00
        vfs             = jfs2
        log             = /dev/loglv00
        mount           = true
        options         = rw
        account         = false

And the output from df:
Code:
/dev/fslv00    133169152         0  100%  4639433    60% /data01

I first ran rmfs /data01 to delete the filesystem, then I tried the following:
Code:
[root@ibm: /]# mkfs -V jfs2 -o name=/data01 /dev/fslv00
mkfs: destroy /dev/fslv00 (yes)? y
mkfs: 0506-214: /dev/fslv00: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

This didn't work so I tried crfs instead, but I don't think I was using that properly either:
Code:
[root@ibm: dev]# crfs -m /data01 -d /dev/fslv00 -v jfs2
0516-306 getlvodm: Unable to find  fslv00 in the Device
        Configuration Database.
/usr/sbin/getlvodm: A flag requires a parameter: y
Usage: /usr/sbin/getlvodm [-a LVdescript] [-B LVdescript] [-b LVid] [-c LVid]
        [-C] [-d VGdescript] [-e LVid] [-F] [-g PVid] [-h] [-j PVdescript]
        [-k] [-L VGdescript] [-l LVdescript] [-m LVid] [-p PVdescript]
        [-r LVid] [-s VGdescript] [-t VGid] [-u VGdescript] [-v VGdescript]
        [-w VGid] [-y LVid] [-G LVdescript]
crfs: 0506-923 Cannot get logical volume type from odm.

I am just trying to recreate my old /data01 filesystem with "normal" settings. The man pages for mkfs/crfs are a little confusing.. Any help would be appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Accidentally Changed File Ownership to Include a "Comment" [AIX]

Hi. I've had a little mishap. To cut a long story short, I've accidentally recursively ran chown on a directory (actually a bunch of 'em). Not a problem in itself, but I had a slight error in the code I used to get the list of directories and ended up with a comment in the file ownership. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
15 Replies

4. Red Hat

eliminating "mounted filesystem" messages from syslog

Hello all, perhaps this is an odd request, but I have the requirement none the less. Every time I mount a filesystem (at least an ext4 filesystem), I get a line indicating such in the syslog: Oct 9 22:26:28 sulaco kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS flash install "Unable to create Filesystem error"

Hi, I am trying to get an HPz420 workstation instaled (zfs root pool) via a jump-start server. I have a zfs image (from this workstation) the Solaris release is 10 1/13 update 11. I use a sparc U25 install server, upgraded to the same solaris build 10 1/13. This server is configured to install... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc0rpie
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [options] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX filesystem on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The device may be a block device or a image file of one, but this is not enforced. Expect not much fun on a character device :-). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device for bad blocks before creating the filesystem. If any are found, the count is printed. -n, --namelength length Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30 for file system versions 1 and 2. Ver- sion 3 allows only value 60. The default is 30. -i, --inodes number Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l, --badblocks filename Read the list of bad blocks from filename. The file has one bad-block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -1 Make a Minix version 1 filesystem. This is the default. -2, -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. -3 Make a Minix version 3 filesystem. -V, --version Display version information and exit. The long option cannot be combined with other options. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
fsck(8), mkfs(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2015 MKFS.MINIX(8)