Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirection of file input to command Post 302856191 by Scott on Monday 23rd of September 2013 10:18:17 AM
Old 09-23-2013
Without trying to be picky, -i of xargs is deprecated. You should use -I instead.

xargs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Changing stdin from file redirection to console input

Hi I am doing file redirection at console for use by my binary. %console%> bin &lt inputfile After reading in the entire file, I want my program to continue taking input from the console. So essentially I want to redirect stdin back to console. But I cant figure out how to do it. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nauman
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

permanent redirection of standard input

while running a user inter-active program how can we get the commands from a file instead of the user? is there anyway to permanently redirect content of a file to standard input? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo command and file I/O Redirection

I have a colon-delimited text file of names, addresses and phone numbers. I am trying to write a script that can add additional entries and then sort it alphabetical by last name and resave it to the original file. I am using C shell to script. This is the section of my script that I wish to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When do I use input redirection?

Can someone please explain when input redirection is necessary? For example, "cat filename" and "cat< filename" produce the same result. I was told that if I need to bunzip a file that I should type "bunzip2<filename.bz2." However, if I omit the "<" I still get the same result. Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection script

Hi, #!/bin/bash while ; do rm -f /tmp/pipe mkfifo /tmp/pipe ./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe & mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe sleep 65; done When I run this - after mplayer finishes playing video it says - Exiting... (End of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection within bash script

Hi, when I try to redirect input and the command is described as a string within an array redirection does not work. why? #!/bin/bash dir=("tail < ./hello.txt") tail < ./hello.txt #works ${dir} #does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinzel
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection to file issues

Hi, I have a peculiar issue w.r.t redirecting the command output to a file when using loop. I am redirecting command output to same file in a series of if condition statements, but if one block of if condition statement writes the log to the file , the subsequent block of if condition... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies
newinv(1)						      General Commands Manual							 newinv(1)

NAME
newinv - Updates distribution kit master inventory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/newinv mi-file input-path... OPERANDS
The pathname of the master inventory file to be processed. If no master inventory file exists, you must create an empty one before using the newinv command. The name of the product hierarchy to be scanned for files belonging in the inventory. All files and directories found below the input-path are processed as belonging in the inventory. DESCRIPTION
The newinv command interactively maintains the master inventory files used for producing distribution kits in setld format. The program updates the master inventory for a product when changes are made to the hierarchy of files that are to be packaged in the subsets which constitute the product. The product hierarchy is scanned to produce a list of component path names relative to input-path. The list of pathnames is processed against the mi-file to produce a list of files that have been removed from the product hierarchy and a list of files that have been added. The user is then given an opportunity to intervene and direct the inventory maintenance by editing these lists. The user is placed in the editor with each list available for editing. The editor used is the one specified by the EDITOR environment variable. If EDITOR is not set, vi is used. When editing the list of files that have been removed from the product, the user is expected to verify that the removals were intentional and confirm the intent by removing the associated records from the file. When editing the list of added files, the user is expected to provide options and subset information for each new file, transforming the elements of the list into master inventory records. To produce a new copy of the master inventory file, both of these lists are merged with the records for the files which existed in the pre- vious version and are still included. RESTRICTIONS
The default text editor, if not specified in $EDITOR, is /usr/ucb/vi. Files in the product hierarchy cannot be excluded from the master inventory. Files can be blocked from being kitted in the final distribu- tion kit by setting the subset field of the master inventory record to a minus sign (-). ERRORS
The mi-file specified on the command line cannot be found. The input-path directory specified on the command line does not exist. EXAMPLES
To update the hypothetical master inventory file OAT100.mi from the hierarchy beginning at /var/kits/input, type: newinv OAT100.mi /var/kits/input FILES
Backup copy of master inventory The list of files missing from the product The list of files new to the product Intermediate join file List of all files in the product SEE ALSO
invcutter(1), kits(1), vi(1), setld(8) stl_mi(4) environ(5) Guide to Preparing Product Kits newinv(1)