Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using Valgrind with already running process Post 302856183 by rupeshkp728 on Monday 23rd of September 2013 09:37:25 AM
Old 09-23-2013
Using Valgrind with already running process

I have a process(c program) which runs as daemon and is causing memory leak.
Is there any way to detect memory leak in this already running process?
Just like we attach gdb to a live process to debug it, can I use valgrind to detect memory leak in such live process?

When I tried using valgrind to such a live process it gives me error "< Process Name> instance already running...".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a dummy process of a process already running?

Hi Everybody, I want to create a shell script named as say "jip" and it is runned. And i want that when i do ps + grep for the process than this jip should be shown as process. Infact there might be process with name jip which is already running. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shambhu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

3. Programming

Valgrind error

I get this Valgrind error while using malloc but if I use calloc then there is no error. I allocate 8 bytes for the string inside sprintf, 12 for the ip and 1 for the string terminator. This totals 21, so why is it talking about 20 bytes and 18 bytes ? Partial code: char ip =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

valgrind

Hello, I want to install and run a tool called Daikon on my Ubuntu(latest version) While compiling I got this error--------> checking the GLIBC_VERSION version... unsupported version configure: error: Valgrind requires glibc version 2.2 - 2.11 make: *** Error 1 make: Leaving directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

7. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
sipw(8) 							   GNU Telephony							   sipw(8)

NAME
sipw - sipwitch service daemon SYNOPSIS
sipw [options] DESCRIPTION
This is a service daemon for the SIP protocol. This daemon enables sip devices and softphone applications to register as well as to route messages for the SIP protocol between arbitrary endpoints, both locally and remote over the Internet using DNS to resolve destination uri's. As a telephone system, sipw offers call redirection, speed dials, call forwarding, sms style instant messaging, and the ability to ring multiple user agents tied together under a common user id. The sipw daemon is also being used as a mediator for desktop telephony. For this purpose, sip users become the same as normal login accounts which happen to be in a specific group of sipusers, and sipw will assume a role for VoIP services similar to what gstreamer does for media. OPTIONS
Normally the sipw daemon is started from an init script or upstart rather than manually, and hence only those options setable in the /etc/default/sipwitch config file can be set. However, the sipw daemon can be manually started, both in the foreground for testing, and in the background. If this is done, a number of options may be passed to it directly as documented. --background Execute the sipw daemon detached in the background (default). --concurrency=level Set the pthread concurrency level for the sipw process. --debug=level Specify debug logging level (0-9). When run in foreground debug messages are shown on the console. When in background they are saved in the sipwitch log file. --foreground Execute the sipw daemon in the foreground, with output shown on stdout or stderr. --gdb Execute the sipw daemon under control of gdb for full debugging. --group=id Specify the group id that the sipw daemon will execute as for receiving control messages or access to daemon managed shared memory. --memcheck Execute the sipw daemon under valgrind to validate basic memory management. --memleak Execute the sipw daemon under valgrind for full memory leak detection. --no-localusers Disable use of local (system) user accounts entirely. --plugins=names Load only these specified plugins from /var/lib/sipwitch. --priority=level Execute the sipw daemon under the realtime (fifo) schedule, and specify a realtime process priority level (1-9). --restarable The sipw daemon will automatically restart if it exits or crashes other than from a manually specified reason. This is often used on BSD systems when sipw is started from an rc file. --trace Logs sip messages the sipw daemon sends and receives. --version Print the currently installed version of sipwitch to standard output. AUTHOR
sipw was written by David Sugar <dyfet@gnutelephony.org>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to sipwitch-devel@gnu.org. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 David Sugar, Tycho Softworks. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. GNU SIP Witch December 2009 sipw(8)