Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to exclude directory from (File Systems) backup? Post 302856131 by Mohannad on Monday 23rd of September 2013 05:46:15 AM
Old 09-23-2013
How to exclude directory from (File Systems) backup?

Hello AIX experts,

I have a file system called /bossapp
Its size = 77.5 GB
I want to take a File Systems backup for this one using smitty, it is very easy, but the problem is I want to exclude one directory called (ORIGIN).

How?

The steps are very easy to take a File Systems backup, by typing: #smitty storage, then choose (File Systems) --> then choose (Backup a File System) --> then write the name of the file system.

The question now, how to exclude a specific directory?!

Waiting your answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup Linux file systems

Hi, I need to backup files on our Solaris machines onto a windows machine. I have Samba installed. Is it possible to backup these files on Solaris/Linux machines onto a Windows machine. Thanks Aravind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude file in tar backup?

I am taking a backup of area with the following command:- tar -cf -./* |/usr/contrin/bin/gzip >xxx.tar.gz. The area contains following files :- xxxx yyyy zzzzz asdaD DASdD WQWEE I want to backup all the files except yyyy from the following area. I checked manual page of tar but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamlesh_p
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar directory but exclude other

OS: SunOS perfs01 5.8 Generic_117350-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 I want to tar a directory, but there are subdirectoires I want to exclude. Does anyone know how to do it? Please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude a directory to tar

If use tar file from a directory , how to exclude a sub-directory in this directory ? ll drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:58 b drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 c drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:57 d drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 d eg . I want to tar all files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude a directory in 'find'

Hi, I'm in the process of writing a shell script which will be ran under cron hourly and will check for files of specific age in my ftp folder, then moves those over inside a folder called "old" (which is within the ftp dir). But, I'm unable to figure out how to exclude the "old" folder when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutex1
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a particular directory in multiple file systems and calculate total size

Hello : I need some help in writing a ksh script which will find a particular directory in all the file systems in a server and finally report the total size of the direcotry in all the file systems. Some thing like this.. find /u*/app/oracle -type d -name "product" -prune and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sam1974
1 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring file systems backup

Hello, I have some questions. There are some File systems which are located on a SAN. There are two scenarios: 1) Some file systems are permanently mounted on certain servers 2) Others are part of a high availability cluster In case of a cluster the needed file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frhling
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Exclude socket files from PAX backup

I am working to move my production backups to PAX and have just about everything working. However, when generating a verbose log there is a high number of 'errors' logged regarding socket files: pax_enh: /var/opt/dce/rpc/local/s-3/135 : Skipped socket file. Is there a way to tell PAX... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
10 Replies
BACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BACKUP(8)

NAME
backup - backup files SYNOPSIS
backup [-djmnorstvz] dir1 dir2 OPTIONS
-d At top level, only directories are backed up -j Do not copy junk: *.Z, *.bak, a.out, core, etc -m If device full, prompt for new diskette -n Do not backup top-level directories -o Do not copy *.o files -r Restore files -s Do not copy *.s files -t Preserve creation times -v Verbose; list files being backed up -z Compress the files on the backup medium EXAMPLES
backup -mz . /f0 # Backup current directory compressed backup /bin /usr/bin # Backup bin from RAM disk to hard disk DESCRIPTION
Backup (recursively) backs up the contents of a given directory and its subdirectories to another part of the file system. It has two typ- ical uses. First, some portion of the file system can be backed up onto 1 or more diskettes. When a diskette fills up, the user is prompted for a new one. The backups are in the form of mountable file systems. Second, a directory on RAM disk can be backed up onto hard disk. If the target directory is empty, the entire source directory is copied there, optionally compressed to save space. If the target directory is an old backup, only those files in the target directory that are older than similar names in the source directory are replaced. Backup uses times for this purpose, like make. Calling Backup as Restore is equivalent to using the -r option; this replaces newer files in the target directory with older files from the source directory, uncompressing them if necessary. The target directory con- tents are thus returned to some previous state. SEE ALSO
tar(1). BACKUP(8)