Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Desktop OS
Operating Systems Linux Linux Desktop OS Post 302855587 by gacanepa on Friday 20th of September 2013 10:41:21 AM
Old 09-20-2013
I agree with Skrynesaver - I first used Ubuntu back in '07 with the good old Gnome. When I tried it again about 18 months ago, I didn't like Unity, so I started looking some place else, and that's how I landed with Mint, and IMHO it is the best distro to start with if you're coming from a Windows environment, especially because it has a couple of alternate graphical environments that you can try. Just saying Smilie. Hope it helps!
PS: About using the Microsoft Suite, have you given LibreOffice a try? It doesn't lack anything that the Office suite has to offer.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Desktop of linux server

Hi, How to get desktop of linux server in windows using putty or any other software (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

2. Linux

Best Linux desktop distro

I hate the fact that my first post is this. Anyhow, I've been using Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, openSUSE, and a few others for quite some time now. I've never had a problem with any distro, thus saying that they were all good in my opinion. I've been reading a lot on different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vex
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Desktop vs Windows 8

Any comments on this Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting | ITworld (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
16 Replies

4. Fedora

Build Linux Desktop ?

Hi, Just trying to make a plan as to if this doable or not? Currently in the company all the desktop are Windows, users get MS-Word, some kind of Virus program. and all connected to Windows domain. If I want to do the same thiing on Linux? How would I do that? First I need to create... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

VXVM on Linux desktop

I would like to install vmvm on linux for practice My hdd is only 1 & its a intel core i5 processor which i believe is 64 bit.. Has anyone have experience of installing it on desktop ? Or any other advice to learn it ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
3 Replies
RENICE(1)							   User Commands							 RENICE(1)

NAME
renice -- alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice [-n] priority [[-p] pid ...] [[-g] pgrp ...] [[-u] user ...] renice -h | -v DESCRIPTION
Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The following who parameters are interpreted as process ID's, process group ID's, or user names. Renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. Renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. By default, the processes to be affected are specified by their process ID's. Options supported by renice: -n, --priority The scheduling priority of the process, process group, or user. -g, --pgrp Force who parameters to be interpreted as process group ID's. -u, --user Force the who parameters to be interpreted as user names. -p, --pid Resets the who interpretation to be (the default) process ID's. -v, --version Print version. -h, --help Print help. For example, renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 would change the priority of process ID's 987 and 32, and all processes owned by users daemon and root. Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value'' (for security reasons) within the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20), unless a nice resource limit is set (Linux 2.6.12 and higher). The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX. Useful priorities are: 20 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user ID's SEE ALSO
getpriority(2), setpriority(2) BUGS
Non super-users can not increase scheduling priorities of their own processes, even if they were the ones that decreased the priorities in the first place. The Linux kernel (at least version 2.0.0) and linux libc (at least version 5.2.18) does not agree entirely on what the specifics of the sys- temcall interface to set nice values is. Thus causes renice to report bogus previous nice values. HISTORY
The renice command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The renice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux November 2010 util-linux