Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get string between 2 patterns Post 302855487 by ahamed101 on Friday 20th of September 2013 06:25:38 AM
Old 09-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDominok
Gives me, on bash :
Code:
$ awk -F\' '{print $2}' RS=, test.dat
GATHERING FACTS *****************************
/project/cars/version/scripts/y.txt
/project/cars/version/scripts/x.txt

Though my solution is not the cleanest, it works.
Check if you have put a comma accidentally in your dat file.

Code:
-bash-3.2$ awk -F\' '{print $2}' RS=, infile
/project/cars/version/scripts/
/project/cars/version/scripts/y.txt
/project/cars/version/scripts/x.txt

--ahamed

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting patterns in a shell string

Hello, I am writing a shell script and I need to find a way to count the number of whitespaces in a string. Eg: NAME="Bob Hope" I am looking for a way to count the number of whitespaces in this string. So a command that would take this string and return 1. Or take "First Middle Last"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevin80
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the string between two patterns

Sample input: Loading File System Networking in nature Closing the System now i need to extract the patterns between the words File and Closing: i.e. sample output: System Networking in Nature Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in string patterns

Hi, i have a directory /u02.i have 2 files in it like abc1.gz abc2.gz i want to store file pattern in a variable like f1="abc?" i don't want to take .gz in variable rather i want .gz appended when i need to unzip the file like gunzip $f1 Can you please help me how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in string patterns

Hi, i have following lines of code which is properly working. CAT1="${InputFile}CAT_*0?????" CAT2="${InputFile}CAT_*0?????" CountRecords(){ integer i=1 while ]; do print P$i `nawk 'END {print NR}' $1 ` >> ${OutputPath}result.txt & i=i+1 shift done } CountRecords "$CAT1"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing filename and grabbing specific string patterns

Hi guys...Wow I just composed a huge post and it got erased as I was logged out automatically Anyways I hope someone can help me out here. So the task I'm working on is like this I have a bunch of files that I care about sitting in a directory say $HOME/files Now my job is to go and loop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukasetsuna
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a string from between two patterns

I need something to strip out some text from a string. I basically have a variable that will always be in the same pattern but will be a different length. Example below. I need to somehow extract the text between <Strat> and </Source> from example below. I can't load it into a file for audit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atelford
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching the string using different patterns

HI, Please help me with the following problem: I have an xml file with the following lines <NameValuePair> <name>SharedResources/JDBC/Admin/password</name> <value>rjmadmin</value> </NameValuePair> <NameValuePair> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search between patterns using sed

Hi, I am trying to find a way to get sed/awk/grep to help me find a string in a log file that exists between two datestamps and then print the preceding datestamp up to the next datestamp. Here is an example of my logfile: +++ 2013/03/28 17:01:37.085 SIGNALING HIGH ACTIVE Failure Response... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raytx
5 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)