Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add FC Tape to Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris Add FC Tape to Solaris 10 Post 302855191 by cerber0 on Thursday 19th of September 2013 10:09:20 AM
Old 09-19-2013
Normally,

with the boot reconfiguration process you can discover the tape devices on the OS (/dev/rmt*). These devices can be used without problems.

However if the Library have a medium changer this need a driver, this driver normally is provied by the software than can be used to backups (networker, netbackup, commvault, etc)

Last edited by cerber0; 09-19-2013 at 11:18 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

make recovery tape for solaris

Hello All I am need of amke recover tape for solaris.Could anybody tell me how do i create a make recovery tape for solaris.I am on sun-solaris 2.8 regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem With Tape Backup in Solaris

Hi, OS: Solaris9, SPARC. Commands (and their outputs) that I use to backup two files of size 4GB and 10GB (respectively) are shown below: # cd /backup/daily/ # mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rew # tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0m * a Mails.bkf 4680454 tape blocks a backup.bkf too large to archive # The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 7 newbie tape backup question

Hello all, I have an ss20 running Solaris 7, with an attached 4mm tape drive. The machine has one 1.2GB SCSI HDD. I would like to backup other machines to tape, but I can't do a stopover on the ss20s hard disk, as there is virtually no space available. Is there a way I can make the tape... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help help] backup script for tape on solaris

hi all, very urgent need backup script on tape using solaris 8, my tape drive is DAT 72 on sun v240. i need a simple script to backup files from directory /data/log/back/200703/filename.log. the files will backup continue each day on the tape which have 72 GB. the files size only 50MB and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
0 Replies

5. Solaris

configure tape drive to sun solaris 10

Hi everyone. Im new to Sun Solaris or the Unix environment. My only background is the DOS command in windows and a little bit of c++ programming. I always worked with troubleshooting hardware and software issues with windows. Now that I need to configure tape drives using sun solaris, I had... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: graboid888
11 Replies

6. Solaris

viewing the the contents of Tape on Solaris 10

Hi all, i would like to view the contents of Tape on Solaris 10 i issued the following command tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0m i'm getting the following error bash-3.00# tar -tvf /dev/rmt/1m tar: tape read error by the way the reference to the command is on sun's wiki any alternatives Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send file to the tape in Solaris?

Hi all, I want to send some files to the tape but unfortunatelly I don't know how to do it... My tape drive name /dev/rmt/1un, file is here - /tmp/test Could you please show me how to do it? Thanks in advance, Regards, nypreH ---------- Post updated at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 new fiber connected tape

Hello all, how can i see configured fc tapes in solaris system and how can i install a new fc shared tape device , thanks Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogacd
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 restore from tape

Hope someone can help me here... I've got to restore an E450 with 300MHz cpus which was running Solaris 2.6 from tape. Regrettably the boot drive has failed. I've access to the first release of Solaris 2.6 CD's and to a set of Solaris 9 CD's. I remember that different E450 CPUs needed different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamplemousse
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Add new EML 103e Tape Library in SUN Solaris Host to implement HP DP

Hi, Our environment is SUN Solaris. We have purchased HP EML 103e tape library. Can you please let me know do I need to install any Driver of newly added Tape Library to see from the Solaris Host? or how can i see the tape library from my Solaris hosts. Thanks, Hassan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hassan
0 Replies
tapes(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 tapes(1M)

NAME
tapes - creates /dev entries for tape drives attached to the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/tapes [-r root_dir] DESCRIPTION
devfsadm(1M) is now the preferred command for /dev and /devices and should be used instead of tapes. tapes creates symbolic links in the /dev/rmt directory to the actual tape device special files under the /devices directory tree. tapes searches the kernel device tree to see what tape devices are attached to the system. For each equipped tape drive, the following steps are performed: 1. The /dev/rmt directory is searched for a /dev/rmt/n entry that is a symbolic link to the /devices special node of the current tape drive. If one is found, this determines the logical controller number of the tape drive. 2. The rest of the special devices associated with the drive are checked, and incorrect symbolic links are removed and necessary ones added. 3. If none are found, a new logical controller number is assigned (the lowest-unused number), and new symbolic links are created for all the special devices associated with the drive. tapes does not remove links to non-existent devices; these must be removed by hand. tapes is run each time a reconfiguration-boot is performed, or when add_drv(1M) is executed. Notice to Driver Writers tapes(1M) considers all devices with the node type DDI_NT_TAPE to be tape devices; these devices must have their minor name created with a specific format. The minor name encodes operational modes for the tape device and consists of an ASCII string of the form [ l,m,h,c,u ][ b ][ n ]. The first character set is used to specify the tape density of the device, and are named low (l), medium (m), high (h), compressed (c), and ultra (u). These specifiers only express a relative density; it is up to the driver to assign specific meanings as needed. For example, 9 track tape devices interpret these as actual bits-per-inch densities, where l means 800 BPI, m means 1600 BPI , and h means 6250 BPI, whereas 4mm DAT tapes defines l as standard format, and m, h, c and u as compressed format. Drivers may choose to implement any or all of these format types. During normal tape operation (non-BSD behavior), once an EOF mark has been reached, subsequent reads from the tape device return an error. An explicit IOCTL must be issued to space over the EOF mark before the next file can be read. b instructs the device to observe BSD behav- ior, where reading at EOF will cause the tape device to automatically space over the EOF mark and begin reading from the next file. n or no-rewind-on-close instructs the driver to not rewind to the beginning of tape when the device is closed. Normal behavior for tape devices is to reposition to BOT when closing. See mtio(7I). The minor number for tape devices should be created by encoding the device's instance number using the tape macro MTMINOR and ORing in the proper combination of density, BSD behavior, and no-rewind flags. See mtio(7I). To prevent tapes from attempting to automatically generate links for a device, drivers must specify a private node type and refrain from using the node type string DDI_NT_TAPE when callingddi_create_minor_node(9F). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r root_dir Causes tapes to presume that the /dev/rmt directory tree is found under root_dir, not directly under /. ERRORS
If tapes finds entries of a particular logical controller linked to different physical controllers, it prints an error message and exits without making any changes to the /dev directory, since it cannot determine which of the two alternative logical to physical mappings is correct. The links should be manually corrected or removed before another reconfiguration boot is performed. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Creating Tape Device Nodes From Within the Driver's attach() Function This example demonstrates creating tape device nodes from within the xktape driver's attach(9E) function. #include <sys/mtio.h> struct tape_minor_info { char *minor_name; int minor_mode; }; /* * create all combinations of logical tapes */ static struct tape_minor_info example_tape[] = { {"", 0}, /* default tape */ {"l", MT_DENSITY1}, {"lb", MT_DENSITY1 | MT_BSD}, {"lbn", MT_DENSITY1 | MT_BSD | MT_NOREWIND}, {"m", MT_DENSITY2}, {"mb", MT_DENSITY2 | MT_BSD}, {"mbn", MT_DENSITY2 | MT_BSD | MT_NOREWIND}, {"h", MT_DENSITY3}, {"hb", MT_DENSITY3 | MT_BSD}, {"hbn", MT_DENSITY3 | MT_BSD | MT_NOREWIND}, {"c", MT_DENSITY4}, {"cb", MT_DENSITY4 | MT_BSD}, {"cbn", MT_DENSITY4| MT_BSD | MT_NOREWIND}, {NULL, 0}, }; int xktapeattach(dev_info_t *dip, ddi_attach_cmd_t cmd) { int instance; struct tape_minor_info *mdp; /* other stuff in attach... */ instance = ddi_get_instance(dip); for (mdp = example_tape; mdp->minor_name != NULL; mdp++) { ddi_create_minor_node(dip, mdp->minor_name, S_IFCHR, (MTMINOR(instance) | mdp->minor_mode), DDI_NT_TAPE, 0); } Installing the xktape driver on a Sun Fire 4800, with the driver controlling a SCSI tape (target 4 attached to an isp(7D) SCSI HBA) and performing a reconfiguration-boot creates the following special files in /devices. # ls -l /devices/ssm@0,0/pci@18,700000/pci@1/SUNW,isptwo@4 crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,136 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0: crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,200 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:b crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,204 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:bn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,152 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:c crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,216 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:cb crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,220 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:cbn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,156 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:cn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,144 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:h crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,208 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:hb crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,212 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:hbn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,148 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:hn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,128 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:l crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,192 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:lb crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,196 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:lbn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,132 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:ln crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,136 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:m crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,200 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:mb crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,204 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:mbn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,140 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:mn crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 33,140 Aug 29 00:02 xktape@4,0:n /dev/rmt will contain the logical tape devices (symbolic links to tape devices in /devices). # ls -l /dev/rmt /dev/rmt/0 -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0: /dev/rmt/0b -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:b /dev/rmt/0bn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:bn /dev/rmt/0c -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:c /dev/rmt/0cb -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:cb /dev/rmt/0cbn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:cbn /dev/rmt/0cn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:cn /dev/rmt/0h -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:h /dev/rmt/0hb -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:hb /dev/rmt/0hbn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:hbn /dev/rmt/0hn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:hn /dev/rmt/0l -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:l /dev/rmt/0lb -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:lb /dev/rmt/0lbn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:lbn /dev/rmt/0ln -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:ln /dev/rmt/0m -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:m /dev/rmt/0mb -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:mb /dev/rmt/0mbn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:mbn /dev/rmt/0mn -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:mn /dev/rmt/0n -> ../../devices/[....]/xktape@4,0:n FILES
/dev/rmt/* logical tape devices /devices/* tape device nodes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), devfsadm(1M), attributes(5), isp(7D), devfs(7FS), mtio(7I), attach(9E), ddi_create_minor_node(9F) Writing Device Drivers BUGS
tapes silently ignores malformed minor device names. SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 2002 tapes(1M)