Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Big /etc/group creating issue Post 302854595 by solaris_1977 on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 04:47:15 PM
Old 09-17-2013
We have plans to move it to NIS, but is going to take 6 months from now. Seems like as of now only option for us to find out non-existing user in organization and remove their id's from passwd, shadow and group file to cleanup.
I am not getting any document which can tell me limit of characters in each group or any way to increase it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Problem with creating big files

Hi... I have a very wired problem with my redhat4 update 4 server... Every time i create a file bigger then my physical memory the server kills the process\session that creates the file, and in the "messages" file i see this error: "Oct 21 15:22:22 optidev kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a control file for a group of files

Hi, We have almost 45,000 data files created by a script daily. The file names are of format-ODS.POS.<pharmacyid>.<table name>.<timestamp>.dat. There will be one data file like this for each pharmacy and each table.(Totally around 45,000) The requirement is to create a control file for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya_Pillai
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello - Have a big issue need help please ASAP

I have been using this simple grep command to extract fields from a file that ALPHANUMERIC field has been set to 16 grep -w 'ALPHANUMERIC *16' filename ------------------------- sample data file SAMP_RICS "SAMPLE RICS" 5694 NULL ALPHANUMERIC 60 RMTES_STRING ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
11 Replies

4. Programming

SQL Developer JOINS / GROUP BY issue.

Am having a nightmare with a certain piece of code.. have tried almost everything and just cannot see what the issue is.. CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW TOP_EARNER_PER_LOCATION AS SELECT E.FIRST_NAME || ' ' || E.LAST_NAME AS EMPLOYEE_NAME, L.REGIONAL_GROUP AS REGIONAL_GROUP, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating a secondary read only group with setfacl

We have created ACL's to allow two differnet groups to access some directories. You can see output from getfacl below. group::rwx group:rbauser:r-- The original group has full access, the secondary group has read only. However users in the secondary group can't see the directories. Think this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dw82199
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file where the owner and group is not root

Hi, I'm the root user on my computer, but I'm writing a script that does a lot of file handling. Every time I create a file or directory it automatically requires root privileges. Is there a way I can just create a file that the user can access without a password? For example in my script I... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
20 Replies

7. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

NFS Mount 16+ group Issue in AIX

Hi, I am trying to read files from NFS mount. The ID with which I am trying to read is part of 16+ groups. This is causing problem in doing change directory to the NFS mount directory. I was able to get some code which does newgrp to change the default group so that I could change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete big directory issue

Hello folks, I am deleting a directory with script it is taking 11Hour and also increase the IO on server. I am using below command, inside date directory there are hour directories, which i am deleting after archiving. Archiving is not taking long time, only "rm -rf" is taking alot of time with... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
21 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating a group of users with script

Hi, I have a file with usernames, and the comment section, e.g : Data removed by request of sanchitadutta91, 20 May 2020 I need to add these users into a server. Is it possible to use a script to create the users, together with the comment ? From the commandline to add one user, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
NEWGRP(1)							   User Commands							 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 NEWGRP(1)