Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep a log file for words listed in separate text file? Post 302854463 by Scott on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 01:50:10 PM
Old 09-17-2013
If you have any blank lines in the white list file, you should remove them.

Code:
     -f file, --file=file
             Read one or more newline separated patterns from file.  Empty pattern lines match every input line.  New-
             lines are not considered part of a pattern.  If file is empty, nothing is matched.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing words from a file on a Separate Line

Hi, I want to list all the words in my file on a separate line. I am using the bourne(sh)/bourne again shell(bash). Thanks, theA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to separate numbers and words from a file using shell scripts

Hi, How to separate numbers and words(with full alphabets) in a particular file and store it in two different files. Please help me out for this.Using shell scripting. :confused::confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem.

Hi, Say I have this text file <copy.out> that contains a list of files/directories to be copied out to a different location. $ more copy.out dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4 If I do the following: $copy=`more copy.out` $echo $copy dir1/file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript to sort duplicate files listed in a text file

I have many pdf's scattered across 4 machines. There is 1 location where I have other Pdf's maintained. But the issues it the 4 machines may have duplicate pdf's among themselves, but I want just 1 copy of each so that they can be transfered to that 1 location. What I have thought is: 1) I have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a mail to IDs listed in a text file

I have a list of mail ids in text file and want a ksh script that reads this text file and sends a mail to all mail ids with same subject line and content. I am using UX-HP machine and KSH. Thanks for help in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in text file to new directory

I am trying to write a script that will copy all file listed in a text file (100s of file names) to a new directory Assume script will run with main as current working directory and I know how many files/lines will be in List.txt Im trying to work up a test script using this model Contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAmTheGrass
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files listed in text file

Hi Team, Here's the scenario, I have a text file called "file_list.txt". Its content is as follows. 111.tmp 112.tmp 113.tmp 114.tmp These files will present in "workdir" directory. It has many files. But only the files present in file_list.txt has to be deleted from the workdir... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to delete the junk files from a directory which are not listed in a TEXT file

Hello Everyone, I want to delete the image files from a directory, which are not listed in a TEXT file. The directory contains large number of image files (in millions) required / not required. I want to delete the image files which are "not required". I have generated a Text file having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)