Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture a database val and use in script Post 302853867 by zaxxon on Monday 16th of September 2013 09:12:27 AM
Old 09-16-2013
Save the returned output to a variable or file and parse it in your shell script.

Basic example:
Code:
... maybe put some sqlplus settings here to get not too much garbage etc...
... and set the environment needed for your DB user, if not already done...
VAR=$( sqlplus user/pw @ ... )

If you get more output, parsing will be needed.

Here is one of many hits on Google how to issue sqlplus from a shell script which is demonstrated more in detail:
https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2174382

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ret val of a command in a pipe which is NOT the last one

hello dear UNIX gurus ;-) my problem is one of those i would think that many others should also have had it in the past. but i cannot find any thread or other documentation about it. inside a ksh script i have a pipe like this: ksh -c "export LIBPATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH; ${Cmd} ${Param} 2>&1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: latze
5 Replies

2. Programming

Capturing a ret val of C obj file in ksh script

Hi, I have one shell script which is calling a C executable. That C executable returns a value depending upon operations inside the C code. But how to get that value in the calling shell script? The syntax of calling the C executable is like -- C_exec <argc no> <argument1> <argument2> etc... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process

hi i'm running a shell script that checks the amount of cpu idle either using /usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 or sar 1 2 (on unixware) before i run some tests(if cpu idle greater than 89 I run them). These tests are run on many platforms, linux(suse, redhat) hp-ux, unixware, aix, solaris, tru64. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto capture data from rs232port andpull data into oracle database-9i automatically

Hi, i willbe very much grateful to u if u help me out.. if i simply connect pbx machine to printer by serial port RS232 then we find this view: But i want to capture this data into database automatically when the pbx is running.The table in database will contain similar to this view inthe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boss
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to capture

Hi In my production server some user runnig some scripts to get some data. I need a script to capture this user script code. best rds ab (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to capture STDOut of script in a CGI script?

Hi Perl Experts, I am invoking a shell script thru a perl script and the perl script is cgi script.I need to capture the STDOUT of the shell script in the html page where I am invoking the script .?The shell script takes couple of mintutes to complete its execution .Mean while my html page does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kittu1979
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

database instance Error capture

I wrote a script to capture some rows from the DB. However I want to capture the errors if the DB instance is down which usually produces errors like below. What should be my approach to kill script if the DB instance is down: DATABASE ERRORS: Msg 937, Level 14, State 1: Server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash set -vx /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/PalacefilesWait /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/prodEnvSetup 03212013 & if then echo "fatal error: Palace/HardRock failed!!!!" 1>&2 echo "Palace Failed" | mail -s "Link Failed at Palace/HardRock" -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture run time of python script executed inside shell script

I have bash shell script which is internally calling python script.I would like to know how long python is taking to execute.I am not allowed to do changes in python script.Please note i need to know execution time of python script which is getting executed inside shell .I need to store execution... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adfire
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)