Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help Me With the Loop.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Me With the Loop. Post 302853747 by Don Cragun on Monday 16th of September 2013 01:19:59 AM
Old 09-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirjhar17
Thanks Don!! And thanks for the wonderful code. But can you please look in to my code also and tell me how to modify my code so that i will get my write disable,unmap and symmask commands together like your o/p...i have tried my code in solaris and for symmask there was no issue with the spacing ...i have pasted all the o/p's for your reference ...Thanks again!!
Code:
$ cat /tmp/devices
29ce
1ec8
1ed1
1eda
1ed0
3aa1

... ... ...
The contents of /tmp/devices in your earlier example clearly had two columns of data per line; not one. With the above contents of /tmp/devices, there would be no spacing problem. (The only spacing problem in the data you provided before was that the results when your ran your sed command twice with the same input data produced one more space in the output on one of the runs than it did on the other. I expect that it was a cut and paste error, unless the contents of /tmp/devices was being changed by something else while your script was running.)

Having given you a portable, relatively fast script that should work reliably on any Linux or UNIX system using any bash or ksh shell, I have no desire to try to fix your script to work on a system where I can't test it. (The forms of echo in your script and the sed script that you're using do not work on OS X on the MacBook Pro laptop system where I test the examples I provide for this forum. And all of the invocations of cat that are in your script only serve to unnecessarily consume system resources slowing down your script and making the system less responsive for any other users who may be running other code on your system at the same time.)

If you gather the director, port, and wwn data in shell arrays at the start of your shell script and use un-nested and nested for loops in your shell script mimicking the for loops in the awk script I gave you, you should be able to duplicate the output my awk script produced.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a better way I could have run this loop. (For loop with two variables)

Sorry for such a dreadful title, but I'm not sure how to be more descriptive. I'm hoping some of the more gurutastic out there can take a look at a solution I came up with to a problem, and advice if there are better ways to have gone about it. To make a long story short around 20K pieces of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null Handling in Until loop. . .loop won't stop

Hi Im running this script, which is supposed to find the max value build some tables and then stop running once all the tables are built. Thing is , it keeps assigning a null value to $h and then $g is null so it keep building tables i.e. testupdateNUL. How can I stop this? Here is what I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandono66
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

S# in a for loop - concatenate $(loop counter)

Hi, hope I am posting in the right section. My problem is that I have 2 or more arguments passed and I want to check if the arguments passed exists or not. The first argument should not exist and the remaining others should exist. example: ./shells.sh argument1 argument2 argument3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fight4love
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

My for loop decides to become an infinite loop?

Hi, I was debating if I should put this in the dummies or scripts section, I apologize in advance if I chose poorly. Fairly new to Unix and BASH scripting but I thought I made it fairly well given my limited understanding. However, the output indicates that it's looping and I'm ending up with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotreef
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset while loop to loop same file multiple times

Hi, I want to read file multiple times. Right now i am using while loop but that is not working. ex. While read line do while read line2 do echo stmt1 #processing some data based on data., done < file2.txt done < file1.txt # This will have 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop or while loop from a text file

Hi all, i developed a script to measure the uptime of a process in a Solaris 10/11 environments. All is well, but i came across a situation where there are multiple processes of the same name. Basically i have the following result file: beVWARS 13357 19592122 beVWARS 14329 19591910... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)