Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tailing and counting lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tailing and counting lines Post 302853677 by bartus11 on Sunday 15th of September 2013 04:33:11 PM
Old 09-15-2013
Here is what I came up with:
In one terminal window run this:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/syslog > /tmp/syslog.tmp

In another run this:
Code:
while true; do clear; grep -c FATAL /tmp/syslog.tmp; sleep 1; done

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting lines and files

Hi experts, First of all thanks for all your help. How can i count the lines within a text file and send this number to another text file? And by the way how can i count the number of files inside a tape ("/dev/rtp") that as one pattern (Ex. "/CTA/") and send this number to a text file? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying/ counting lines

I have a file called xx with the env redirected into it 5 times: env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx I have to read an input file (here: xx) and look for occurrences of the current user who is executing this script. Once finding an occurrence of the username I have to take that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aga
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of lines - again

Hi all, I use bash shell and I have a problem with wc. I would like to determine the number of lines in a file so I do wc -l filename but I don't want to get the filename again I just would like to have the number of lines and use it in a variable. Can anybody help? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines between two patterns

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: wwe khfgv jfo wwe jhgfd wwe wwe hoaha hao lkahe wwe (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines for each application

Hi All, I have a output that suppose to be like this (see below please) App : Line counts === ================== AAA: 100 BBB: 201 CCC: 137 DDD: 32 EEE: 55 for i in `ps -ef | grep App`; do print $i; done This only shows App : === (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete # of Lines after counting

I'm trying to write a script to clean up log file automatically when it reaches 1000 lines. I can't get this to work..can some help me please :) Server: SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-53 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 #!/bin/ksh #file reference file=`echo "$HOME/support/moe/b.tc"` #linecount... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed counting lines

Hi, I'm using the command: sed -n '$=' $1 on a sh script on AIX. This script is used to count the number of lines of files. If the file has no lines at all the command doesn't return nothing. I need the command to return 0 when the file has no lines at all. How can I achieve this? Best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jppedroso
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies
PMDARSYSLOG(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						    PMDARSYSLOG(1)

NAME
pmdarsyslog - rsyslog (reliable and extended syslog) PMDA DESCRIPTION
pmdarsyslog is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from the rsyslogd(8) server. Further details about rsyslog can be found at http://www.rsyslog.com/. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the rsyslog performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog # ./Remove pmdarsyslog is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. In order to use this agent, rsyslog stats gathering must be enabled. This is done by adding the lines: $ModLoad impstats $PStatsInterval 5 # log every 5 seconds syslog.info |/var/log/pcp/rsyslog/stats to your rsyslog.conf(5) configuration file after installing the PMDA. Take care to ensure the syslog.info messages do not get logged in any other file, as this could unexpectedly fill your filesystem. Syntax useful for this is syslog.!=info for explicitly excluding these. FILES
/var/log/pcp/rsyslog/stats named pipe containing statistics exported from rsyslog, usually created by the PMDA Install script. $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog/Install installation script for the pmdarsyslog agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog/Remove undo installation script for the pmdarsyslog agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/rsyslog.log default log file for error messages from pmdarsyslog SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), rsyslog.conf(5), rsyslogd(8). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDARSYSLOG(1)