Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Insert single quote and commas Post 302853439 by Nand Kishor on Saturday 14th of September 2013 11:38:34 AM
Old 09-14-2013
Insert single quote and commas

Hi All,

I have a set of data as below :

Code:
XS012371378 Raj 23-09-12
SH128238948 Andrew 24-08-12
CH273712399 Walsh 12-10-12
JK7249923893 Nick 10-02-13
JP6383791389 Braslin 30-12-13

I want the first column to be extracted separately. I can get this using awk.
Code:
awk '{print $1}' file_name

But then along with that i need the same column as shown below :

Code:
'XS012371378',
'SH128238948',
'CH273712399',
'JK7249923893',
'JP6383791389'

Can you please help me with this.?

Last edited by Scott; 09-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: More code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I insert commas/delimiters in File

Hi, Newbie here. Need to convert a txt file to .csv format. There's no character to replace so not sure if I can use sed :confused: . The comma is to be inserted after every certain number of characters in each line... Help! Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbelen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Commas at fixed positions

Hi I have a text file which is position delimited, i.e. Code1 Description1 Value1 Code2 Description2 Value2 etc. I want to import this file into MySQL so I want to convert the file into Comma delimited format. To do this I want to insert commas at fixed positions on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arossco
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a single quote to each record

I have a file as: 1 New used 1 used New I need o/p as: '1' 'New' 'used' '1' 'used' 'New' (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Inverted Commas Around Numeric Values

Hi, I am trying to insert Inverted Commas around all the numeric values within a comma seperated string / variable. 1111,2222,3333,4444 I would like it to be: '1111','2222','3333','4444' Note - This string could have a differing amount of numeric values each time the variable is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichZR
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert single quote on every word separated by comma

Hello, I have a text file as:-ABC BCD CDF DEF EFGI need to convert as 'ABC', 'BCD', 'CDF', 'DEF', 'EFG' using a unix command anybody can help me out on this. Regards, Jas Please wrap all code, files, input & output/errors in CODE tags. It makes them easier to read and preserves... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a single quote in front of a line in vi editor

Hello Gurus, I wanted to put a single quote in every where starting with /oradata, and at the end with .dbf. For example I have one line as below: alter database rename datafile /oradata/test.dbf to /oradata_new/test.dbf I wanted as below alter database rename datafile '/oradata/test.dbf' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert commas

Original content: ACACCTCAT 129 | ACACCTCAT 0 ACACCTCATX 171 | ACACCTCATX 0 ACACRESRT 0 ACACRESRT 0 ACACRESRTX 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)