Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Bluetooth Dongle Pairing but Not Connecting (Linux) Post 302853343 by Deluge on Friday 13th of September 2013 05:42:29 PM
Old 09-13-2013
Error Bluetooth Dongle Pairing but Not Connecting (Linux)

I have been trying to get bluetooth working correctly on Linux for a while now. I am using two systems that are having identical issues: Linux Mint 15 64-bit & Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit. Both are using the Cinnamon desktop. I have the following bluetooth dongle:

http://dx.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth...mpatible-11866
Code:
$ lsusb | grep -i blue
Bus 004 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Here are the issues that I am having:

1) Bluetooth dongle is not always recognized at startup. Bluetooth icon does not display in the system tray. The bluetooth service is running:
Code:
$ sudo service bluetooth start
start: Job is already running: bluetooth
$ sudo bluetoothd -u
D-Bus setup failed: Name already in use

I have to remove and re-insert dongle and system tray icon appears and dongle shows up under lsusb.

2) Cinnamon's GUI utility (under System Settings shows that bluetooth is disabled and the dongle still does not display under hcitool's device listing:
Code:
$ hcitool dev
Devices:

I can "enable" bluetooth with the GUI (not sure how to do it from a terminal) by selecting "On" then removing and re-inserting dongle again. Then the dongle shows up under hcitool:
Code:
$ hcitool dev
Devices:
    hci0    00:1F:81:00:02:50

I can then pair bluetooth devices (I have a phone and a mouse).

3) I cannot "connect" bluetooth devices. Often when I try to connect I get a kernel panic and the system crashes. If the system does not crash during connection the device will appear to be connected but still not work. Sometimes the system will crash when trying to access the device, for example, when I try to send a file to my phone. If the system does not crash the signal is never sent/received and the phone does not respond to the incoming file. In the case of the mouse it just doesn't work.

I have tried connecting to the devices using the default GUI utility supplied by Cinnamon/Linux Mint, the blueman GUI and hcitool. Sometimes the connection appears to be made and other times it connects for only a second or two then disconnects:

(NOTE: FC:C7:34:F2:F5:CD is the address of paired bluetooth phone as displayed by Cinnamon's GUI utility.)
Code:
$ hcitool con
Connections:
$ sudo hcitool cc FC:C7:34:F2:F5:CD
$ hcitool con
Connections:

The last time that I ran the hcitool cc command the Cinnamon utility showed the device connect for less than a second and disconnect. Then, within 10 or 20 seconds the system crashed.

(NOTE: This USB dongle works fine on Windows XP and Vista systems, so I am convinced this is a software issue on Linux.)

Linux Mint and Ubuntu both use the Bluez bluetooth stack. I have searched a bit for alternate stacks and found Affix, but it appears to be outdated and requires recompiling the kernel.

I have discussed the issue somewhat in the Linux Mint forums (http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=144169). Another user using the KDE desktop was able to make it functional, but I have not had any success yet.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program for pairing together to print outputusing perl

Suppose u have One file one row and one column A1 A2 A3 A4 A1 A2 A3 A4 And another Second file shows pairing A1 A4 A2 A3 A2 A4 A1 A3 Want the output to be like based on the pairing .. As seen from the second fileThose who are paired will get one A1 A4 will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

I can't get the mobile Internet connection using a dongle.

Hi My computer is a 64 bit one and it has AMD processor. I installed Fedora Core and tried in vain to configure the dongle given by 3. I mean to get mobile internet to my desktop computer. I bought the dongle from 3. I know the company 3 is in many European countries. I downloaded... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toxic
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pairing up numbers

Hi, Im trying to script the following logic but having some difficulties and wonder if you can help. Have tried to use "cut" to cut pairs but doesn't appear to do what i need when there are more than one pair. Also "wc -c" doesn't appear to be so easy to know which characters to strip of at I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunti
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Dongle over Ubuntu machine.

How to use Net connector(Dongle) in Ubuntu 12.04??? (from the command line or manually)Plz reply soon. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsha katre
4 Replies