Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk to parse huge files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to parse huge files Post 302853075 by panyam on Friday 13th of September 2013 06:17:43 AM
Old 09-13-2013
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

I got the issue resolved myself and forgot to update here.

The logic I used is:

Code:
awk -F"|"  'BEGIN{ read the source file and store in array} { for each record in dest file search and replace it with source data ( stored in array ) and save it to a file }' source_file dest_files*.dat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 huge files wrt to a key using awk

Hi Folks, I need to compare two very huge file ( i.e the files would contain a minimum of 70k records each) using awk or sed. The comparison needs to be done with respect to a 'key'. For example : File1 ********** 1234|TONY|Y75634|20/07/2008 1235|TINA|XCVB56|30/07/2009... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ranjani
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two huge files

Hi, I have two files file A and File B. File A is a error file and File B is source file. In the error file. First line is the actual error and second line gives the information about the record (client ID) that throws error. I need to compare the first field (which doesnt start with '//') of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkbuddy_1983
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Huge files manipulation

Hi , i need a fast way to delete duplicates entrys from very huge files ( >2 Gbs ) , these files are in plain text. I tried all the usual methods ( awk / sort /uniq / sed /grep .. ) but it always ended with the same result (memory core dump) In using HP-UX large servers. Any advice will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to parse results from TWO files

I am trying to parse two files and get data that does not match in one of the columns ( column 3 in my case ) Data for two files are as follows A.txt ===== abc 10 5 0 1 16 xyz 16 1 1 0 18 efg 30 8 0 2 40 ijk 22 2 0 1 25 B.txt ===== abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger67
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK failing to parse on certain files

Dear Unix Gurus, need your expertise to help troubleshoot a certain problem i'm having. I crated a shell script which will ftp get 1 crash log from multiple servers (listed in a text file). Each log will then be parsed by calling an awk script. The problem is, for certain log its parsing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarj
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a huge 600MB zipped file?

I'm new to Unix, trying to parse a huge 600MB zipped file... I need to bzcat this file once and do some calculations (word count) on the lines based on certain criteria (see script) the correct result/output should be: column1=6 column2=4 the problem is that I'm getting column2=0 (see... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeltaComp
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk does not work well with huge data?

Dear all , I found that if we work with thousands line of data, awk does not work perfectly. It will cut hundreds line (others are deleted) and works only on the remain data. I used this command : awk '$1==1{$1="Si"}{print>FILENAME}' coba.xyz to change value of first column whose value is 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Parse And Create Multiple Files Based on Field Value

Hello: I am working parsing a large input file which will be broken down into multiples based on the second field in the file, in this case: STORE. The idea is to create each file with the corresponding store number, for example: Report_$STORENUM_$DATETIMESTAMP , and obtaining the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ec012
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse input of two files to be the same in awk

I have two files that I am going to use diff to find the differences but need to parse them before I do that. I have include the format of each file1 and file2 with the desired output of each (the first 5 fields in each file). The first file has a "chr" before the # that needs to be removed. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)