Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need program to continue even when encountering errors Post 302852887 by figaro on Thursday 12th of September 2013 02:43:11 PM
Old 09-12-2013
It is good practice to distinguish between errors and warnings.
Errors are situations where - even if the program manages to continue - the results are unreliable if not unusable. You need to have a method of alerting the user or developer that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.
Warnings are situations that the user needs to be alerted to, but may not be detrimental to the quality of the output.
I think you will want to design your program around a definition of what constitutes an error and what a warning.
This User Gave Thanks to figaro For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

2. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encountering problem with vim

while entering into vim insert mode some garbage is getting printed in to the file could some one help to avoid this . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bypass getopts errors and continue processing?

Is there a way to do this? while getopts "n:g:m:i:p:d:a:" OPTION do case $OPTION in ... if i do a ./script.sh -n john -u user -p password, it will output: name= john ./script.sh: illegal option -- u Is there a way to skip over errors so that -p will get processed as well? By... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Encountering problem on upgrading the packages

Hi folks, Ubuntu 9.04 I have an old box not running for years. I just dig it out from the store room. On running; $ sudo aptitude update ...... ...... Err http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages 404 Not Found Err http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/restricted Packages ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satimis
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to find and print a Fibonacci sequence of numbers. --Errors

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to convert a C language program over to Sparc Assembley and I am getting Undefined first referenced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenjiro310
4 Replies

9. Programming

Please help me understand errors in perl program

co #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; my $amount=""; my $bain; ; my $code=""; my $date;my $day;my $line; my $mo; my $LNUM = 0; my $xyz=""; my $yr; $yr = 2015; my $F; my @F; while (<>) { chop; ++$LNUM; @F = split(';'); if ( $F eq "Date" )... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hpk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on encountering header

I need to split a file based on headers found Input file file1 content: ADD john mickey DROP matt sam output of file F1 john mickey output of file F2 matt sam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
5 Replies
RMMOD(8)							       rmmod								  RMMOD(8)

NAME
rmmod - Simple program to remove a module from the Linux Kernel SYNOPSIS
rmmod [-f] [-s] [-v] [modulename] DESCRIPTION
rmmod is a trivial program to remove a module (when module unloading support is provided) from the kernel. Most users will want to use modprobe(8) with the -r option instead. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Print messages about what the program is doing. Usually rmmod prints messages only if something goes wrong. -f, --force This option can be extremely dangerous: it has no effect unless CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD was set when the kernel was compiled. With this option, you can remove modules which are being used, or which are not designed to be removed, or have been marked as unsafe (see lsmod(8)). -s, --syslog Send errors to syslog instead of standard error. -V --version Show version of program and exit. COPYRIGHT
This manual page originally Copyright 2002, Rusty Russell, IBM Corporation. Maintained by Jon Masters and others. SEE ALSO
modprobe(8), insmod(8), lsmod(8), modinfo(8) AUTHORS
Jon Masters <jcm@jonmasters.org> Developer Lucas De Marchi <lucas.de.marchi@gmail.com> Developer kmod 01/28/2018 RMMOD(8)