Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role? Post 302852703 by DustinT on Thursday 12th of September 2013 07:27:57 AM
Old 09-12-2013
The security model is changed quite a bit in Solaris 11. Perhaps a dev environment would provide you a suitable testing ground to determine how these changes will impact your users?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move all user setting

I have a new server ( host A ) and a existing server ( host B ) , I will move all data from host A to host B , could suggest what is the best method to move all the user data including /etc/passwd . /etc/shadow , /etc/group , ~userid/.bash_profile , /home , how to make the user can use the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Setting user groups

Hi......... I'm trying to set a group of users to login to do a required super-user tasks without knowing the super-user passwd. For example...a user popodude logs in as self with passwd..system accepts the password & then automatically asks for the super-user account passwd. My goal is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Remi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting password for user using useradd?

hi all i am writing a script to create user and group from the input given to script for eg. script needs to values 1. mode - 1 or 2 2. id - if mode is 1 then id should be 2 char like x1 / v1 / v2 if mode is 2 then id should be 1 char like x / v / e from these to values group is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

oracle user and group setting

I am seeking help on this issue. When I installed Oracle 10g on Solaris 9 sparc box, I created user oracle and assigned oracle user to primary group Oinstall and second group dba. Then installation went successful. After that, I created another user ccmm and assigned ccmm to dba group. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Switch user :NOPASSWD setting

Hi All, I want trigger a script "abhishektest.sh "whenever a mail come to a user say "abhishek" in my unix server. I dont have root permission. So, for doing this i added abhishek : "|/export/abhishek/bin/wr_test.sh in /etc/mail/aliases in wr_test file : i need to put this line, as i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting home as lin in user profile

Hi. I have a directory structure built with links. For example: /home/user1 is a link to /var/123/user1 can i set the home variable in the .profile of the user to use a link? or it has to be a "real" directory? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH Setting for all shells of a user

How can I modify the path variable of a particular user in all shells? I searched in this forum and as per the advice in some threads created a new file .profile in $HOME directory with the new PATH, but it did not work. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyceBabu
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Setting write permission for particular user

Hi All, We have a scenario in production where we want only one user from a group to modify the file. The file is not set to write permission for application manager. -r--r--r-- 1 amgr u00 15661716 Aug 30 00:06 DCI.dat So here amgr will have permission to edit the file. We want a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
10 Replies
NOLOGIN(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							NOLOGIN(5)

NAME
nologin -- file disallowing and containing reason for disallowing logins DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/nologin, if it exists, causes the login procedure, used by programs such as login(1), to terminate. The program may display the contents of /etc/nologin to the user before exiting. This file is a simple mechanism to temporarily prevent incoming logins. As such, the file /etc/nologin is created by shutdown(8) five min- utes before system shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than five minutes. The file /etc/nologin is removed just before shutdown(8) exits. To disable logins on a per-account basis, see nologin(8). The file /etc/nologin has no affect on the login procedure for the root user. FILES
/etc/nologin The nologin file resides in /etc. EXAMPLES
NO LOGINS: System going down at 18:22 SEE ALSO
login(1), ftpd(8), nologin(8), rshd(8), shutdown(8), sshd(8) BSD
December 9, 2005 BSD