Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash- Determine what interface is online Post 302852639 by MR.bean on Thursday 12th of September 2013 04:04:44 AM
Old 09-12-2013
For LINUX, if you don't have to know the IP addresses of the interfaces, but just to enquire the status, mii-tool / ethtool also work. These commands might require root privilege to execute.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

determine if a ethernet interface is up

Howto check if a ethernet interface is up? It's impossible to determine via the ipaddress i have learned, or? Can someone please give me a hint on howto do? Environment == Linux x86 GNU GCC. :D regards Esaia (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to determine the interface?

Given the interfaces on a firewall: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:40:67:34:F5:47 inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 86:23:98:45:35:56 inet addr:123.45.240.69 Bcast:255.255.255.255 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command for CPU online/offline status in bash shell

Hi , How do i check that the CPU is online/offline in a multi CPU machine in Linux ? i tired /proc/cpuinfo dmesg nothing gave me the currect CPU status. Pls help !! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Determine Solaris box network interface?

Given a new Solaris box, with a fresh, unconfigured install on it, how does one figure out what kind of network interface it has (bge,le, hme, etc)? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
8 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to determine network interface that will be used to send a packet for an IP

Hello, I'm writing to you because I encountered the following problem. My program displayes all network interfaces that are available in the system, but I would like to add a functionality in which a user can enter a destination address IP (ex. the IP address of the Google search engine) and will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxrafi
1 Replies

6. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Determine PCI Endpoint for a Serial Interface.

Hi Folks, Here is one for the real Solaris aficionados on the site; I have a T5240 and have to create an I/O domain with access to the serial port, in this case /dev/term/a and although I have been through the documentation I'm having some issues in identifying the device to assign. What I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
ifplugstatus(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   ifplugstatus(8)

NAME
ifplugstatus - A link beat detection tool SYNOPSIS
ifplugstatus [options] [INTERFACE] DESCRIPTION
ifplugstatus is an utility which may be used to detect the link status of a local Linux ethernet device, much in the same way mii-diag, mii-tool and ethtool work. In fact it supports all three different APIs these three tools use. In addition it supports link checking with the IFF_RUNNING interface flag, which most modern drivers (not only ethernet) support, and association status checking with the wireless extension API for WLAN devices. The APIs are tried in the following order: First the newest API: SIOCETHTOOL (aka ethtool API) Second the next older API: SIOCGMIIREG (aka mii-diag API) Than the WLAN API: wireless extension (aka iwconfig API) Followed by the cleanest API: IFF_RUNNING (aka ifconfig API) The oldest API (SIOCPRIV aka mii-tool API) is not tested since it is obsolete. ifplugstatus may be used in shell script since it returns the current status as return value. It is especially useful to detect the avail- able APIs on the used network driver. (Option -v) OPTIONS
You may specify an ethernet device on the command line. Otherwise ifplugstatus will check all available network interfaces. -a | --auto Enable interface automatically before querying (default: off) -h | --help Show help -q | --quiet Decrease verbosity by one. If the verbosity is < 0, no text will be shown, only the return value is relevant; if the verbosity is = 0, a terse status will be shown; If the verbosity is > 0, detailed information about the used API is returned. (By default the ver- bosity is 0) -v | --verbose Increase verbosity by one. See option -q. -V | --version Show version RETURN VALUES
0 Success 1 Failure 2 Link beat detected (only available when an interface is specified) 3 Unplugged (same here) AUTHOR
ifplugd was written by Lennart Poettering <mzvscyhtq (at) 0pointer (dot) de>. ifplugd is available at http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/ SEE ALSO
mii-diag(8), mii-tool(8), ethtool(8), ifplugd(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User ifplugstatus(8)