Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check the file processed Completion Post 302852535 by Corona688 on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 05:45:41 PM
Old 09-11-2013
We get asked this question very, very frequently.

Bottom line, it's the sending thing's job to tell you when it's done, because the receiver can't tell the difference between a finished upload, a stalled upload, or an aborted upload -- all three will have a file sitting there unchanged for long periods of time.

One of the best ways for the uploader to inform you of a completed upload is:
  • Upload the file to /path/to/temporary/file
  • In the same FTP session, rename /path/to/temporary/file /path/to/destination/file

As long as /path/to/temporary/ and /path/to/destination/ are on the same partition, this guarantees that files always appear in /path/to/destination/ whole, never partial files or in-progress uploads.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-11-2013 at 06:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file name completion

I'ld like to enable file name completion in ksh88 on AIX 5.2. My terminal is set to xterm. I've set the shell editor to emacs and ampped the arrow keys. Is there a way to map the tab key to a command like ESC= or any other file name completion command in emacvs that I may be not aware of since I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ensure the file completion ?

Hi, I would like to copy a file from one location to another. But that particular file is not fully loaded. I like to copy a file once it's fully loaded or complete file. How to ensure whether file is fully loaded or complete file?. -Thambi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for FTP completion

Hello, I am sure a lot of you have come across this situation, and I want to know how you have or would handle this situation: - A file gets ftp'ed (import) regularly to a directory into our environment. Is there a way to check whether this file has completed ftp'ing. * I don't want my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check process completion

Hi, OS - Unix Iam doing the following: after login to the unix box 1. change directory 2. run a shell script "preinstall.sh" 3. This takes apprx 5 mins 4. after which i use to change permission of a file "installhub.sh" (this file is generated from the previous step). Is there anyway... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check latest time where theres the word 'processed' in logfile

Hi, Im doing a project to check the latest time with the word 'processed' in a logfile. the time range is within 2 hours before the curent datetime to present. For example: Current datetime is 'October 6 2009 8:00AM' --- HKT So the time range that need to check is from 'October 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: romanne
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name auto completion not working in KSH.Please help

Hi All, I am using SunOS 5.8 verison with KSH shell. My problem is I am not getting auto completion of file name on pressing of TAB or ESC key. While pressing ESC key , '^[' is getting printed . TAB is printing doin nothin but jus printing tab. What should I do to get auto completion of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sooraj_Linux
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto completion of file name in KSH.

Hi All, I am using SunOS 5.8 verison with KSH shell. My problem is I am not getting auto completion of file name on pressing of TAB or ESC key. While pressing ESC key , '^[' is getting printed . TAB is printing doin nothin but jus printing tab. What should I do to get auto completion of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sooraj_Linux
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File processed in Unix had issue open using notepad

Dear all, I had a columned based file after processed from my script. In unix platform, my file is ok, with all columns sorted out nicely. But when i open in windows notepad, the columns are running out of order. Can some one help?? Thanks alot in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymeyaw
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying the file completion

Hi, A script is running for multiple databases so data is also being populated for multiple DBs in a.txt file. I need to rename this file once all the data is populated. Kindly suggest me How can I check once file is populated completely before renaming? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether file is processed in a control file list

I've a list of files which got processed in Target table A and stored in a control file(list of control files). I've want to trigger another process (later) based on this list of files and load into Target table B and continue running this process until this file list is exhuasted. How do I come... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manojg9
1 Replies
qstart(8B)								PBS								qstart(8B)

NAME
qstart - start pbs batch job processing at a destination SYNOPSIS
qstart destination ... DESCRIPTION
The qstart command directs that a destination should process batch jobs. If the destination is an execution queue, the server will begin to schedule jobs that reside in the queue for execution. If the destination is a routing queue, the server will begin to route jobs from that queue. In order to execute qstart, the user must have PBS Operation or Manager privilege. OPERANDS
The qstart command accepts one or more destination operands. The operands are one of three forms: queue @server queue@server If queue is specified, the request is to start that queue at the default server. If the @server form is given, the request is to start all queues at that server. If a full destination identifier, queue@server, is given, the request is to start the named queue at the named server. STANDARD ERROR
The qstart command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qstart command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qstart command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
pbs_server(8B), qstop(8B), and qmgr(1B) Local qstart(8B)