Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines in a fixed length file where there is a word at specific location Post 302852505 by RudiC on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 04:45:53 PM
Old 09-11-2013
If $0 is still defined in the END section (which is not necessarily true for all awk implementations), you can try
Code:
awk 'FNR==1; substr($0,356,1)=="W"; END{print}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines in a file

I have a file which has some lines starting with a particular word. I would like to delete 5 lines before each such line containing that particular word. eg: line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 line6 "particular word"... I would like to delete line2-line6 and all such occurences in that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu_1980
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines at specific location in file

Hi There I have this file that I would like to add entries to, however, there is a "}" as the last line that I need to keep. Basically i would like to know how I can write a script that will add new lines at the second to last line position (ie always add new line above the close bracket) ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert 2 lines in a file at a specific location

Hi, I need to insert two new lines in a file: The file: "..... ...... ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`" .... .... " I need to add the lines: LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$APACHE_HOME/modules' DOWNLOADMODULE_CONF_PATHNAME='$APACHE_HOME/conf/DWLModule.cfg' right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting specific lines in a file

I want to delete all lines from a file (orig_file) that contain the regex values (bad_inv_list) I tried a for each loop with sed but it isn't working for file in `cat bad_inv_list`; do sed '/$file/d' orig_file > pared_down_file.1 mv pared_down_file.1 orig_file done I've added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello, I have a file like this one: 03-07-2011 sunz02 message1 03-07-2011 sunz02 message2 03-07-2011 sunz02 message3 01-07-2011 sunz02 message1 01-07-2011 sunz02 message2 01-07-2011 sunz02 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asanchez
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello, I have a file filled with dates, such as: 04-08-2011 message 04-08-2011 message 03-08-2011 message 01-08-2011 message 31-07-2011 message 24-07-2011 message 15-07-2011 message 13-12-2008 message 26-11-2007 message And I want to delete those lines whose date is older than 10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a word and move it a specific location in xml file using perl?

Hi friends, I have one XML file having below structure :- INput XML file :- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <START> <A=value1> <attr name1="a1"> </A> <B=value2> <attr name2="b1"> <attr name3="c1"> </B> </START> output xml file should be === (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on specific word in a file name & its extension and putting it in required location

Hello All, Since i'm relatively new in shell script need your guidance. I'm copying files manually based on a specific word in a file name and its extension and then moving it into some destination folder. so if filename contains hyr word and it has .md and .db extension; it will move to TUM/HYR... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: prajaktaraut
13 Replies
END(7)							  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation						    END(7)

NAME
END - commit the current transaction SYNOPSIS
END [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] DESCRIPTION
END commits the current transaction. All changes made by the transaction become visible to others and are guaranteed to be durable if a crash occurs. This command is a PostgreSQL extension that is equivalent to COMMIT(7). PARAMETERS
WORK, TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. NOTES
Use ROLLBACK(7) to abort a transaction. Issuing END when not inside a transaction does no harm, but it will provoke a warning message. EXAMPLES
To commit the current transaction and make all changes permanent: END; COMPATIBILITY
END is a PostgreSQL extension that provides functionality equivalent to COMMIT(7), which is specified in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
BEGIN(7), COMMIT(7), ROLLBACK(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 END(7)