Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing command as a function parameter Post 302852285 by eo29 on Wednesday 11th of September 2013 06:44:29 AM
Old 09-11-2013
Passing command as a function parameter

Hi All,

Just trying to implement the below shell script using AIX ksh shell.

Code:
myfunc {
     eval "$*"
}

CMD='ls -la /etc/hosts | awk '{print $9"|"$5}''
myfunc $CMD

Keeping getting "|}: not found" errors, any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ed

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

Last edited by radoulov; 09-11-2013 at 07:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a string parameter to a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Parameter in SED command

Hi, I am trying to replace a URL by another URL in the SED command e.g. cat dir/filename1 | sed -e 's/"http:\/\/*dtd"/"http:\/\/abc.def.com\/xyz.dtd"/' > dir/newfile.xml But I need to pass a parameter to the SED command which should have the new url string i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AT command parameter passing to php file

I have a bash script which utilizes a random function and then runs a file at now plus a random time. The problem is, that the php file requires a parameter after it eg: phpfile.php?code=123245b3 When i put in the file including the full path, with the at command, it will run, but not with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thruxmore
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command as a function parameter

Hi guys, can someome help with this question, I have defined a function that takes a command as a parameter, but when the command is executed from the function it will throw errors because what I believe is a special character escaping issue. I tried using the backslash to escape the pipe | and >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marouanix
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a Unix parameter to SQLPlus login command

hi All, i m trying to pass a user choice paramter from unix to sqlplus connect command here i want the user to enter the username and password he wants to connect in sql plus through read in unix and then automatically connect to that instance. sqlplus -s $1/$2 where $ 1 and $2 will b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sql as parameter to unix function

Hi, I have a function which connects to the db and runs the sql. it works fine when I run it like: function "select empname from emp;" but when I try to pass the sql string to a variable which in turn in fed to the function , it throws error. please advise. Thanks, Arnie. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsarnie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I need to create a SQL statement using Unix script for each value in first field (ID). The file looks like this. Id,TARGET_FIELD_NAME,SOURCE_FIELD_NAME 1,Test_Rate,Field1 1,Test_Factor,Field2 1,Test_Size,Field3 2,Test_Rate,Field4 2,Test_Factor,Field5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranredz
3 Replies

10. Programming

Parameter passing to function with void * as Argument

Earlier I had one structure C typedef struct c { int cc; }CS; I used to call a library function say int GetData(CS *x) which was returning me the above structure C with data. GetData(CS *x) Function call used to be like: CS CSobj; GetData(&CSObj); Now there are two... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
12 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)