Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace nulls with a value in a file Post 302852131 by rudoraj on Tuesday 10th of September 2013 03:07:08 PM
Old 09-10-2013
Can we also do it at vi editor as we do global replacement? but using my scenario

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. DOT
4 Replies

2. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nulls using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace nulls with spaces in every record of a '|' delimited file. I used this command - cat input.dat | sed 's/||/| |/g' > output But if a space appears twice '| | |' , then only the first null is getting replaced with a space. The second one remains as a null. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice1324
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check Null values in a file column by column if columns are Not NULLs

Hi All, I have a table with 10 columns. Some columns(2nd,4th,5th,7th,8th and 10th) are Not Null columns. I'll get a tab-delimited file and want to check col by col and generate seperate error code for each col eg:102 if 2nd col value is NULL and 104 if 4th col value is NULL so on... I am a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort truncates line when they contain nulls

When I try to sort a file where some records contain nulls i.e. hex 00 the sort truncates the record when it reaches the null and writes message: "sort: warning: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file myfile" I'm assuming from this that the sort sees the null as a special character and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArthurWaik
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Counting columns in a delimited record with NULLs

I am trying to count the number of columns in a delimited flat file. The record is tab delimited. When I use the command wc -w, I am getting unexpected results when the record contains a NULL value. I believe it is because there is a "word" missing. The below example will return 4 words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that Nulls Contents of Files

Ok, I'm stuck here with a plan to get what I need done completed. I want to use perl to produce a document. lets say the document will be a pdf document. Now, is there a way for me to put a tiny little code in that pdf document that can make the pdf file null itself if run on a non-unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies
VITMP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  VITMP(1)

NAME
vitmp - edit temporary files SYNOPSIS
vitmp [VIM options] FILE... DESCRIPTION
vitmp is a wrapper around the VIM editor which may be used to invoke the editor in a way that is guaranteed to be suitable for editing tem- porary files used with programs such as crontab(1) and edquota(8). The instance of the editor that is invoked is /bin/vi. In particular, it is guaranteed that the file, if edited, will be overwritten in place such that the modified contents may be read back via a previously obtained file descriptor. Invoking the editor via vitmp also makes sure that no additional editor temporary files are used. Please note that vitmp offers no crash recovery capabilities. If the editor crashes during the overwrite, data may be lost. HISTORY
vitmp first appeared in Openwall GNU/*/Linux 1.0. AUTHORS
Solar Designer <solar@owl.openwall.com> SEE ALSO
crontab(1), vi(1), vim(1), edquota(8) Openwall Project 25 April 2002 VITMP(1)