Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX append field with comparing fields from multiple column Post 302852093 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 10th of September 2013 12:52:15 PM
Old 09-10-2013
Try something like
Code:
awk '{A[$1]=!C[$1]++? $0 : A[$1] OFS $NF} END{for(i in A) print A[i]}' FS=, OFS=\| file

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and compare multiple fields in a column at the same time

Hi, Currently I am coding up a nasty way of reading file input using *cat* rather than *read*. My text input looks like TextA 100 TextB 110 TextC 120 Currently I am using cat |while read line to read the first column and second column fields. cat foo.txt|while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

eAdd two fields in a column if their previous field values are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output file as follows If field3 in file1 is same as field3 in the next line then the field4 should add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk- comparing fields from the same column, finding discontinuities.

Hello, I have a file with two fields. The first field repeats itself for quite a while but the second field changes. What I want to do is to go through the first column until its value changes (and while it doesn't, verify that the second field is in a sequence from 0-15). Example input: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: acsg
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing multiple fields from 2 files uing awk

Hi I have 2 files as below File 1 Chr Start End chr1 120 130 chr1 140 150 chr2 130 140 File2 Chr Start End Value chr1 121 128 ABC chr1 144 149 XYZ chr2 120 129 PQR I would like to compare these files using awk; specifically if column 1 of file1 is equal to column 1 of file2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshetty
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields comparing 4 fields using awk

Hi All, I am looking for an awk script to do the following Join the fields together only if the first 4 fields are same. Can it be done with join function in awk?? a,b,c,d,8,,, a,b,c,d,,7,, a,b,c,d,,,9, a,b,p,e,8,,, a.b,p,e,,9,, a,b,p,z,,,,9 a,b,p,z,,8,, desired output: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksijain
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: print lines with one of multiple pattern in the same field (column)

Hi all, I am new to using awk and am quickly discovering what a powerful pattern-recognition tool it is. However, I have what seems like a fairly basic task that I just can't figure out how to perform in one line. I want awk to find and print all the lines in which one of multiple patterns (e.g.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgo4
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single Field to multiple fields searching

I have a fileA with one column (1000 rows), and fileB with 26 columns(13000 rows). I need to search each value of fileA with fileB and return all the 26 values from FileB to a new file- File C if matches. The search value (from FileA) may present in any of the 26 values in FileB. This value is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsikrishna928
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append data with substring of nth column fields using awk

Hi guys, I have problem to append new data at the end of each line of the files where it takes whole value of the nth column. My expected result i just want to take a specific value only. This new data is based on substring of 11th, 12th 13th column that has comma seperated value. My code: awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: null7
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I stack multiple (>1000) fields into one continuous field?

Hi, I'm struggling with a problem at the minute. Basically, I have a file with >1000 columns / fields (with headers), each containing a variable number of values. I would like to stack each column such that all the data appears in a single column, e.g. the first value of column 2 is moved to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAlcock
5 Replies