Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need program to continue even when encountering errors Post 302852039 by kristinu on Tuesday 10th of September 2013 11:08:47 AM
Old 09-10-2013
Need program to continue even when encountering errors

I am writing a program, and want to have the option for the program to
continue execution even should things go wrong. I use an option --ignore-errors.

The problem is what I do when an error occurs, set the values to zero, or fill them up with some values, for example taken from a simple unit test.

Need advice on this, and a useful approach. Without --ignore-errors, the program
will abort if a file is not found or there is an option missing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

2. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encountering problem with vim

while entering into vim insert mode some garbage is getting printed in to the file could some one help to avoid this . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bypass getopts errors and continue processing?

Is there a way to do this? while getopts "n:g:m:i:p:d:a:" OPTION do case $OPTION in ... if i do a ./script.sh -n john -u user -p password, it will output: name= john ./script.sh: illegal option -- u Is there a way to skip over errors so that -p will get processed as well? By... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Encountering problem on upgrading the packages

Hi folks, Ubuntu 9.04 I have an old box not running for years. I just dig it out from the store room. On running; $ sudo aptitude update ...... ...... Err http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages 404 Not Found Err http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/restricted Packages ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satimis
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to find and print a Fibonacci sequence of numbers. --Errors

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to convert a C language program over to Sparc Assembley and I am getting Undefined first referenced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenjiro310
4 Replies

9. Programming

Please help me understand errors in perl program

co #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; my $amount=""; my $bain; ; my $code=""; my $date;my $day;my $line; my $mo; my $LNUM = 0; my $xyz=""; my $yr; $yr = 2015; my $F; my @F; while (<>) { chop; ++$LNUM; @F = split(';'); if ( $F eq "Date" )... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hpk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on encountering header

I need to split a file based on headers found Input file file1 content: ADD john mickey DROP matt sam output of file F1 john mickey output of file F2 matt sam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
5 Replies
TEE(1)								   User Commands							    TEE(1)

NAME
tee - read from standard input and write to standard output and files SYNOPSIS
tee [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Copy standard input to each FILE, and also to standard output. -a, --append append to the given FILEs, do not overwrite -i, --ignore-interrupts ignore interrupt signals -p diagnose errors writing to non pipes --output-error[=MODE] set behavior on write error. See MODE below --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit MODE determines behavior with write errors on the outputs: 'warn' diagnose errors writing to any output 'warn-nopipe' diagnose errors writing to any output not a pipe 'exit' exit on error writing to any output 'exit-nopipe' exit on error writing to any output not a pipe The default MODE for the -p option is 'warn-nopipe'. The default operation when --output-error is not specified, is to exit immediately on error writing to a pipe, and diagnose errors writing to non pipe outputs. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, Richard M. Stallman, and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tee translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tee> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tee invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TEE(1)