Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really need some help with Parsing files by date Post 302851665 by darrenwg99 on Monday 9th of September 2013 12:40:39 PM
Old 09-09-2013
Question Really need some help with Parsing files by date

Hi,
I am new to Unix and need some help with a problem I have.

I have been asked to ftp a file(s) from a directory to another system.
I need to be able to allow the current days file to build and only send any other file across that is in the directory. I need a peice of code that will read the date from a file e.g. "LABSDATA_20130909.DAT" know that it todays file and leave it but read the next file in e.g. "LABSDATA_20130908.DAT" and recognise it has the previous days date and ftp this file and any other file that doesn't contain todays date.

I have been told I can use parsing to do but I only have basic Unix experience.

Any advice, help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a system log file via the 'date' command

Hello, I'm trying to update some scripts here that parse our system logs daily. They report information just fine... but they just report too much info. Specifically, if there's been some failed login attempts on several different days (say Monday and Tuesday), when I get the report from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjones
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date parsing into string, help!

I have a file that was created yesterday that I want to access... daily.log2008-02-16 I am using... curr_time=`date +"%Y %m %d"` yesterday=`./datecalc.ksh -a $curr_time - 1` the value for yesterday is now "2008 2 16" in ksh, how do I transform the string "2008 2 16" into "2008-02-16" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martyb555
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing Date to a file name

Hi All There is a file "apple_2008-08-15.log". I have to use grep on this file to collect my test log. There are 45 such files. Is there a command that I can use to dynamically substitute the daily date as part of the file name? As of now Iam renaming the file to the new date and running my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk_eee
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing multi-date text file

Hi all: Trying to parse a log file of rsync activity to get the amount of date being transferred. The log file contains multiple dates and what I am trying to do is get the file sizes for the current date. What I have been trying to do is pipe it through awk but I am having trouble retrieving... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Log File Based on Date & Error

I'm still up trying to figure this out and it is driving me nuts. I have a log file which has a basic format of this... 2010-10-10 22:25:42 Init block 'UA Deployment Date': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed. The ODBC function has returned an error. The database... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the date output

Hi fellows, I need to define a notification for SSL certificate expiration. My Command output is below: (this is the "Expiration Date") Tue Mar 15 09:30:01 2012 So, at 15th Feb (1 month before the expiration), a notification has to be triggered by a script or sth else. How can i set an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX ... Date parsing

Hi ... extremely new to Unix scripting ... I have to get a date field from mm/dd/yyyy to yyyy/mm/dd format ... I have a variable that I want parsed. I don't seem to be doing it right?? Thanks. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJKeeble
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files that are not first two files date & last file date for every month-year?

Hi All, I need to find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month and month/year wise list. lets say there are following files in directory Mar 19 2012 c.txt Mar 19 2012 cc.txt Mar 21 2012 d.txt Mar 22 2012 f.txt Mar 24 2012 h.txt Mar 25 2012 w.txt Feb 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
uucleanup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     uucleanup(1M)

NAME
uucleanup - uucp spool directory clean-up SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/uucleanup [-Ctime] [-Dtime] [-mstring] [-otime] [-ssystem] [-Wtime] [-xdebug-level] [-Xtime] DESCRIPTION
uucleanup will scan the spool directories for old files and take appropriate action to remove them in a useful way: o Inform the requester of send/receive requests for systems that can not be reached. o Return undeliverable mail to the sender. o Deliver rnews files addressed to the local system. o Remove all other files. In addition, there is a provision to warn users of requests that have been waiting for a given number of days (default 1 day). Note: uucle- anup will process as if all option times were specified to the default values unless time is specifically set. This program is typically started by the shell uudemon.cleanup, which should be started by cron(1M). OPTIONS
-Ctime Remove any C. files greater or equal to time days old and send appropriate information to the requester (default 7 days). -Dtime Remove any D. files greater or equal to time days old, make an attempt to deliver mail messages, and execute rnews when appropriate (default 7 days). -mstring Include string in the warning message generated by the -W option. The default line is "See your local administrator to locate the problem". -otime Delete other files whose age is more than time days (default 2 days). -ssystem Execute for system spool directory only. -Wtime Any C. files equal to time days old will cause a mail message to be sent to the requester warning about the delay in con- tacting the remote. The message includes the JOBID, and in the case of mail, the mail message. The administrator may include a message line telling whom to call to check the problem (-m option) (default 1 day). -xdebug-level Produce debugging output on standard ouput. debug-level is a single digit between 0 and 9; higher numbers give more detailed debugging information. (This option may not be available on all systems.) -Xtime Any X. files greater or equal to time days old will be removed. The D. files are probably not present (if they were, the X. could get executed). But if there are D. files, they will be taken care of by D. processing (default 2 days). FILES
/usr/lib/uucp directory with commands used by uucleanup internally /var/spool/uucp spool directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbnuu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uucp(1C), uux(1C), cron(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 19 May 1993 uucleanup(1M)