Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning the same frequency to more than one words in a file Post 302850873 by gimley on Thursday 5th of September 2013 10:49:07 PM
Old 09-05-2013
Many thanks it worked fast and zipped through over 700,000 records in no time.
The only hassle:
when a word has more than one occurence and therefore frequencies, all the frequencies belonging to that word are stored on one line.
example
Code:
DAS	6901 6201 4714 4550 3949 3941 3876 3835 3769 3653 3607 3604 3558 3546 3372 3279 3252 3212 3203 3151 3138 3120 3104 3085

How do I get the script to store these on separate lines. My frequency merge script accepts
Code:
word [tab] frequency
same word [tab] frequency

and merges them.
If it is not too much of a hassle could you please comment that code. I tried to modify the script but it mangled the results.
Many thanks once more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count frequency of words in a file

I need to write a shell script "cmn" that, given an integer k, print the k most common words in descending order of frequency. Example Usage: user@ubuntu:/$ cmn 4 < example.txt :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_iitk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to sort large file with frequency

Hello, I have a very large file of around 2 million records which has the following structure: I have used the standard awk program to sort: # wordfreq.awk --- print list of word frequencies { # remove punctuation #gsub(/_]/, "", $0) for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) freq++ } END { for (word... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a file with frequency on length

Hello, I have a file which has the following structure word space Frequency The file is around 30,000 headwords each along with its frequency. The words have different lengths. What I need is a PERL or AWK script which can sort the file on length of the headword and once the file is sorted on... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Frequency of words from a file by accessing a corpus

Hello, I have a large file of syllables /strings in Urdu. Each word is on a separate line. Example in English: be at for if being attract I need to identify the frequency of each of these strings from a large corpus (which I cannot attach unfortunately because of size limitations) and... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Frequency of Words in a File, sed script from 1980

tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | tr A-Z a-z | sort | uniq -c | sort -k1,1nr -k2 | sed ${1:-25} < book7.txt This is not my script, it can be found way back from 1980 but once it worked fine to give me the most used words in a text file. Now the shell is complaining about an error in sed sed: -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)