Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Learn bash shell scripting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Learn bash shell scripting Post 302850221 by lg123 on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 09:10:14 AM
Old 09-04-2013
Learn bash shell scripting

I do not know shell scripting. But at work place, I have got an in and out shell scripting task. I just need to understand a very big script. Is there any tool in which I can place the script and it can tell me the meaning of the whole script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is a good place to learn basic shell scripting? Thanks!

See the title. Originally wasn't going to type anything but I need a message of at least 10 characters! :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deutchap6verse5
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell Scripting help

wwww wwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwww (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- To learn shell scripting

Hello all, Could any one let me know where to find exercises(problems to solve) both simple and complex ones that would eventually help me learn Shell scripting.I'm just a beginner:o in shell scripting but would love to learn more.. Thanks, Triji (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tj23
2 Replies

4. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

good book to learn korn shell scripting

which is a gud book to learn advanced korn shell scripting? i know the basic shell scripting (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shishirkotkar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I learn bash scripting or is it going obsolete?

Hi folks, I'm a CS students enrolled in a sysadmin class where we've been covering bash scripting for the past few weeks. I have prior knowledge in java, c++, c#, python,and some scripting languages like asp.net w/c# and php. This bash stuff seems pretty neat and a bit different than what I am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KalEl
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

My PM has told me to learn shell scripting in 2 weeks , how should I start?

My PM has told me to learn shell scrting in 2 weeks , how should I start?:confused::confused::confused::confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

LEARN SHELL SCRIPTING BASICS

I am beginner to the SHELL SCRIPT and want to Learn SHELL SCRIPT Basics. This thread should help to all beginners who want to learn SHELL SCRIPT *** Thanks in advance to those who will contribute on this thread *** Please guide me and all beginners... 1. Is there any good e-book... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarsbhandare
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a good book to learn UNIX Shell Scripting

I'm going to be starting a job in a month or so that I need to brush up on my Unix shell scripting skills. About 15 years ago, I took a college class for Unix shell scripting. I would like to find a good college book again, rather than just going to Amazon and just buying anything. This is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorlow
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to learn UNIX shell scripting?

Hi Guys, I know basic command of unix and basic programming of unix as like using for loop, while loop, if..else, case statement etc. then how to learn unix shell scripting as well as use also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
1 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)