Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Constant C
Top Forums Programming String Constant C Post 302850185 by bigearsbilly on Wednesday 4th of September 2013 06:00:01 AM
Old 09-04-2013
Yes they are embedded in the code, if you do a strings(1) on your program you will see them.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

'strlen' of a constant string

In a declaration, I have: const char comment_begin = "<!--"; const char comment_end = "-->"; const int comment_begin_len = strlen(comment_begin); const int comment_end_len = strlen(comment_end); When I compile, I get the warnings: emhttpc.c:64: warning: initializer element is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Constant mirroring

I'm not sure how to best explain what I'd like to do, so let me give an example. I used to work in a department that deals with internet security. This department had an "internal" website (only people in the building can get on it) and an "external" website (anyone in the world can get on it --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sstevens
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose random text between constant string.. using awk?

Hallo I have maybe a little bit advanced request.... I need to choose one random part betwen %.... so i have this.. % text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 text1 % text2 text2 text2 text2 text2 % text3 text3 text3 tetx3 % this choose text between % awk ' /%/... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandwich
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Constant disturbing messages????

Hi friends, I am new to Solaris, I have just managed to install Solaris 10 under VirtualBox. As I use the system, I constantly get some very disturbing error messages on my screen, I hope you will help me remove them. Messages are # syslogd: line 24: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble appending string constant to variable

Hi. I define my variables as: month=jul DD=17 YEAR=2012 transmission_file_name_only=test_$month$DD$YEAR_partial.dat However when I run my script the variable 'transmission_file_name_only' resolves to: File "/downloads/test_jul17.dat" not found. How can I append this '_partial'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve awk: line 1: runaway string constant error?

Hi All ! I am just trying to print bash variable in awk statement as string here is my script n=1 for file in `ls *.tk |sort -t"-" -k2n,2`; do ak=`(awk 'FNR=='$n'{print $0}' res.dat)` awk '{print "'$ak'",$0}' OFS="\t" $file n=$((n+1)) unset ak doneI am getting following error awk:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
7 Replies

7. Debian

LM 17.3 xfce constant lagging

I'm using LM 17.3x LIVE. Have constant and sometimes, severe lagging issues. Problems started when I "upgraded" to 18.3x. I tried 5 other distros all with the same issues. Went back to 17.3 and , alas, the problem followed. Found this: sudo gedit /etc/sysctl. conf vm. swappiness = 15, but all it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 69Rixter
4 Replies
XSTR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   XSTR(1)

NAME
xstr -- extract strings from C programs to implement shared strings SYNOPSIS
xstr [-cv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The xstr utility maintains a file strings into which strings in component parts of a large program are hashed. These strings are replaced with references to this common area. This serves to implement shared constant strings, most useful if they are also read-only. The following options are available: - Read from the standard input. -c Extract the strings from the C source file or the standard input (-), replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[number]) for some number. An appropriate declaration of xstr is prepended to the file. The resulting C text is placed in the file x.c, to then be compiled. The strings from this file are placed in the strings data base if they are not there already. Repeated strings and strings which are suffixes of existing strings do not cause changes to the data base. -v Verbose mode. After all components of a large program have been compiled a file xs.c declaring the common xstr space can be created by a command of the form xstr The file xs.c should then be compiled and loaded with the rest of the program. If possible, the array can be made read-only (shared) saving space and swap overhead. The xstr utility can also be used on a single file. A command xstr name creates files x.c and xs.c as before, without using or affecting any strings file in the same directory. It may be useful to run xstr after the C preprocessor if any macro definitions yield strings or if there is conditional code which contains strings which may not, in fact, be needed. An appropriate command sequence for running xstr after the C preprocessor is: cc -E name.c | xstr -c - cc -c x.c mv x.o name.o The xstr utility does not touch the file strings unless new items are added, thus make(1) can avoid remaking xs.o unless truly necessary. FILES
strings data base of strings x.c massaged C source xs.c C source for definition of array xstr /tmp/xs* temporary file when ``xstr name'' does not touch strings SEE ALSO
mkstr(1) HISTORY
The xstr command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
If a string is a suffix of another string in the data base, but the shorter string is seen first by xstr both strings will be placed in the data base, when just placing the longer one there will do. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD