Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CPU load in video decoding using SAR Post 302849991 by Corona688 on Tuesday 3rd of September 2013 05:13:39 PM
Old 09-03-2013
Like I said, the %nice is probably because that particular mode is run at low priority.

To know why it's run at low priority, I'd have to look deep into gstreamer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sar output gives 98% idle CPU

Dear All, Our HPUX 8 GB 8CPU database server is behaving abnormally for the last 4+ weeks. I have generated a sar output and it is here- 11:46:52 %usr %sys %wio %idle 11:46:53 1 1 6 92 11:46:54 0 1 0 99 11:46:55 0 1 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrunil
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU utilization: sar vs ps

Any reason why the "sum of all" average cpu utilization numbers collected from ps during any given time sample are "consistently" lower than the corresponding numbers reported by sar (%usr, %sys). We have a Solaris O/S 2.8. We have been trying to correlate the CPU numbers from the sar, to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sevpert
0 Replies

3. Solaris

sar : insufficient address space to load xxxx device records

Hello, i am using Solaris 10, The sar running in my system might be corrupted, but not sure why as there has been no updates to it ( to the best of my knowledge) and it was working fine until few days back. If i try to get sar reports using sar -o <filename> 60 180 there is no error but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimi20
2 Replies

4. Solaris

CPU load -12.50 in server.

Friends I have noticed that the Sun Fire v490 server with Solaris9 OS in my office, is showing a load of 12.50 during peak time and the CPU showing a max of 75% and an average of 60%. The Application running in this machine hung last month(For reasons unknown) and is running fine after... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setup of sar command for CPU measures

I receive on a daily basis CPU measures on a UNIX Server (AIX 5.3 version, korn shell). These CPU measures are provided by Omnivision tool. We could see that Omnivision daily stats are not always equal to NMON stats regarding CPU level. On my side (I work in an IT Production Support Team, not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scofield38
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. AIX

Using sar to get CPU utilization for WPARs

Based on the documentation (Help - AIX 6.1 Information Center), I should be able to get the CPU utilization on a WPAR. But when I ran sar on the LPAR, I don't see the -@ option: Usage: sar { -A | } ]] ]] | ALL] ] ] I'm on AIX 6.1. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to increase cpu load

can someone suggest me some code in any language that will increase CPU and memory both. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

9. Linux

How to calculate total CPU usage from SAR report?

Hi, I want to calculate the total cpu usage from the sar report. Say for example, Linux 2.6.24-21-generic (blade10) 09/10/2012 04:54:36 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle 04:54:37 PM all 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitmd
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Understanding & Monitoring CPU performance (Load vs SAR)

Hi all, Been reading a lot of the cpu load and its "analogy of it to car traffic path of expressway" From wiki Most UNIX systems count only processes in the running (on CPU) or runnable (waiting for CPU) states. However, Linux also includes processes in uninterruptible sleep states... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
13 Replies
NICE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   NICE(1)

NAME
nice -- execute a utility at an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
nice [-n increment] utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The nice utility runs utility at an altered scheduling priority, by incrementing its ``nice'' value by the specified increment, or a default value of 10. The lower the nice value of a process, the higher its scheduling priority. The superuser may specify a negative increment in order to run a utility with a higher scheduling priority. Some shells may provide a builtin nice command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The PATH environment variable is used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXAMPLES
Execute utility 'date' at priority 5 assuming the priority of the shell is 0: nice -n 5 date Execute utility 'date' at priority -19 assuming the priority of the shell is 0 and you are the super-user: nice -n 16 nice -n -35 date DIAGNOSTICS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of nice is the exit status of utility. An exit status of 126 indicates utility was found, but could not be executed. An exit status of 127 indicates utility could not be found. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), idprio(1), rtprio(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), renice(8) COMPATIBILITY
The traditional -increment option has been deprecated but is still supported. STANDARDS
The nice utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A nice utility appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD