Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to read a file and store in variables Post 302849627 by Scrutinizer on Monday 2nd of September 2013 03:31:30 PM
Old 09-02-2013
Try something like (bash):
Code:
i=1
while read Load[i] x PriCenter[i] x BkpCenter[i]
do 
  (( i++ ))
done < file

Code:
$ echo "${PriCenter[2]}"
UKDatacenter

The variable $x is used as a dummy variable..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-02-2013 at 04:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/shell question: Read from file and assign to variables.

Is anyone able to help with writing a program that will do the following: 1. Read the contents of a file, line by line, and on each line, assign each of the two columns to a shell variable. 2. perform an action on the variables 3. Read the next line. Here is what I've gotten so far. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i read text file and assign its values to variables using shell

Hello, I have a cat.dat file, i would like shell to read each 3 lines and set this 3 lines to 3 different variables. my cat.dat is: 11 12 +380486461001 12 13 +380486461002 13 14 +380486461003 i want shell to make a loop and assign 1st line to student_id, 2nd line to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalinda
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trouble using read to store values in variables from command output

I know there are caveats about using read in pipelines because read is treated by a subshell. I know this but I can't think of any way to accomplish this regardless, I'm still a rookie. I hope somebody will be able to interpret what it is that I'm trying to accomplish and correct me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store contents of a command in array of variables in shell script?

I want to store contents of command dir in array of variables For eg: dir contents are command d2 demovi~ file inven java new untitled folder d1 demovi er1 filename inven~ myfiles ubuntu desktop xmms ----------------------------------- I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netresearch
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store text file into a datastructure using Shell script

i have a text file and want to store it in a appropriate data structure (2-d is preferable) . The contents are as follows.. plzzz suggest an appropriate way to store the contents by using shell scripting (bash shell) text file Abc Def Ghi Hjk Lmn Opq Rst Uvw .... ..... .... .... ....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cynosure2009
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Doubt] How can I store numbers less than 1? Shell variables

Hi everyone, I am having some problems with my scripts so I hope you could help me. I am trying to store the result of a division in a variable in tcshell but I have the problem that if: For example, dividing 2/100 the result is 0.02 but if I store that I have "0". How can I have 0.02... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloody
8 Replies

8. Linux

How to store count of multiple queries in variables in a shell script?

how to store the count of queries in variables inside a filein shell script my output : filename ------- variable1=result from 1st query variable2=result from 2nd query . . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed: UNIX shell variables to store Oracle table records

Hello Folks, I'm working on a requirement to automate the process of generating report(csv file) using metadata info stored in an Oracle table and E-mail it to respective people. Meta data table: Report_ID,Report_SUB_ID,Report_DB,Report_SQL,Report_to_email_Id 1,1,DEV,'select * From... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables from a text file for use in csh script

Hello, I have a text file (say, declarevars.txt) that contains multiple lines that are essentially meant to be variable declarations: set arr1 = (var1a var1b var1c) set arr2 = (var2a var2b var2c) . . . I want to be able to read this text file within a csh (sorry) script and have that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjaydj
2 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)