Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script for renaming multiple scripts Post 302849277 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 31st of August 2013 02:08:56 PM
Old 08-31-2013
Posix shell, ksh, bash:
Code:
for filename in test.sh test
do
  basename=${filename%%.*}
  extension=${filename#$basename}
  newname=${basename}${extension:-.txt}
  echo "$filename -> $newname"
done

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 08-31-2013 at 03:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sh script to run multiple php scripts

I wrote a .sh script to run 5 php scripts. The problem is that it's running 1 then 2 then 3 in that order .... I want it to execute all 5 at ONCE.... nohup php /home/script1/script1.php && nohup php /home/script2/script2.php && nohup php /home/script3/script3.php && nohup php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Problem-Processing multiple scripts

Hi All, I have four scripts to run. My 1st script will make script2 and script3 to run. I am setting a cron job for this script1 to run continuously. This script1 will check for 2 text files and based on the existance of those text files it will initiate the script2 and script3. Now my doubt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files with a shell script

Hey guys, I'm really new to UNIX and shell scripting in general. For my internship I need to rename a bunch of files. Specifically, I need to change the first letter of each of the files to lowercase and I have to change the endings so they all basically look like "file_cone.jpg". I know I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjzieve
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to execute multiple scripts

Hi All, I have 4 scripts to execute. Each one take anywhere from 3 -9 hours to run depending on what it's doing. I'm running one at a time then check back periodically to see if it's still going and if not, run the other. How can I put these scripts into another script so that they are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Local script to trigger multiple remote scripts

Hi All, I am facing problem running a script which triggers another script in multiple remote servers. my script in my local server looks like below ssh server1 "sudo -u uname /usr/local/script/start.sh &2>&1 >/dev/null " ssh server2 "sudo -u uname /usr/local/script/start.sh &2>&1 >/dev/null "... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sain
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shell scripts executed in one script

Hi every one, i am new to shell script. my people given a task to write a shell script that should execute number of shell scripts in that. in that, if any shell script is failed to execute, we have to run the main script again, but the script should start execute from the failed script only.. it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A single script to run multiple scripts

Hi , Can someone help! I need a shell script to run multiple scripts by using single shell script, incase any one of the scripts fails, it should get exit and after trouble shooting if we re-execute it, it should start from the failed script. I have a written a scripting till the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anniesurolyn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple scripts in one single script - crontab

Hello all, Hope all's well. i'm not sure if this is possible but i have some scripts running in a crontab with different intervals, 1min, 5 min, etc. As for a "cleaner" and better control of these scripts (as by time we will have hundred's of scripts used for the same purpose, i.e for Nagios... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling multiple scripts (using lock file)

Hi all, i have compiled a script as below. Basically this script is intended to call 3 other scripts, which i intend to run simultaneously. #!/usr/bin/bash HOMEDIR=/path/of/home LOCKDIR=$HOMEDIR/lock #check for LOCK LOCKFILE=$LOCKDIR/$(basename $0 .sh).lock if ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
2 Replies
File::Basename(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       File::Basename(3pm)

NAME
File::Basename - Parse file paths into directory, filename and suffix. SYNOPSIS
use File::Basename; ($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $name = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $basename = basename($fullname,@suffixlist); $dirname = dirname($fullname); DESCRIPTION
These routines allow you to parse file paths into their directory, filename and suffix. NOTE: "dirname()" and "basename()" emulate the behaviours, and quirks, of the shell and C functions of the same name. See each function's documentation for details. If your concern is just parsing paths it is safer to use File::Spec's "splitpath()" and "splitdir()" methods. It is guaranteed that # Where $path_separator is / for Unix, for Windows, etc... dirname($path) . $path_separator . basename($path); is equivalent to the original path for all systems but VMS. "fileparse" my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path); my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path, @suffixes); my $filename = fileparse($path, @suffixes); The "fileparse()" routine divides a file path into its $directories, $filename and (optionally) the filename $suffix. $directories contains everything up to and including the last directory separator in the $path including the volume (if applicable). The remainder of the $path is the $filename. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz"); # On Windows returns ("baz", "C:fooar", "") fileparse("C:fooaraz"); # On Unix returns ("", "/foo/bar/baz/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz/"); If @suffixes are given each element is a pattern (either a string or a "qr//") matched against the end of the $filename. The matching portion is removed and becomes the $suffix. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", ".txt") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/.[^.]*/); If type is non-Unix (see "fileparse_set_fstype()") then the pattern matching for suffix removal is performed case-insensitively, since those systems are not case-sensitive when opening existing files. You are guaranteed that "$directories . $filename . $suffix" will denote the same location as the original $path. "basename" my $filename = basename($path); my $filename = basename($path, @suffixes); This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command basename(1). It does NOT always return the file name portion of a path as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the file name portion of a path use "fileparse()". "basename()" returns the last level of a filepath even if the last level is clearly directory. In effect, it is acting like "pop()" for paths. This differs from "fileparse()"'s behaviour. # Both return "bar" basename("/foo/bar"); basename("/foo/bar/"); @suffixes work as in "fileparse()" except all regex metacharacters are quoted. # These two function calls are equivalent. my $filename = basename("/foo/bar/baz.txt", ".txt"); my $filename = fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/Q.txtE/); Also note that in order to be compatible with the shell command, "basename()" does not strip off a suffix if it is identical to the remaining characters in the filename. "dirname" This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command dirname(1) and has inherited some of its quirks. In spite of its name it does NOT always return the directory name as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the directory name of a path use "fileparse()". Only on VMS (where there is no ambiguity between the file and directory portions of a path) and AmigaOS (possibly due to an implementation quirk in this module) does "dirname()" work like "fileparse($path)", returning just the $directories. # On VMS and AmigaOS my $directories = dirname($path); When using Unix or MSDOS syntax this emulates the dirname(1) shell function which is subtly different from how "fileparse()" works. It returns all but the last level of a file path even if the last level is clearly a directory. In effect, it is not returning the directory portion but simply the path one level up acting like "chop()" for file paths. Also unlike "fileparse()", "dirname()" does not include a trailing slash on its returned path. # returns /foo/bar. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz"); # also returns /foo/bar despite the fact that baz is clearly a # directory. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/baz/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz/"); # returns '.'. fileparse() would return 'foo/' dirname("foo/"); Under VMS, if there is no directory information in the $path, then the current default device and directory is used. "fileparse_set_fstype" my $type = fileparse_set_fstype(); my $previous_type = fileparse_set_fstype($type); Normally File::Basename will assume a file path type native to your current operating system (ie. /foo/bar style on Unix, fooar on Windows, etc...). With this function you can override that assumption. Valid $types are "MacOS", "VMS", "AmigaOS", "OS2", "RISCOS", "MSWin32", "DOS" (also "MSDOS" for backwards bug compatibility), "Epoc" and "Unix" (all case-insensitive). If an unrecognized $type is given "Unix" will be assumed. If you've selected VMS syntax, and the file specification you pass to one of these routines contains a "/", they assume you are using Unix emulation and apply the Unix syntax rules instead, for that function call only. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), File::Spec perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 File::Basename(3pm)