Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Not able to understand this output Post 302849103 by spacebar on Saturday 31st of August 2013 12:10:39 AM
Old 08-31-2013
See the first character on each line "l", these are symbolic links.
Check out this info:
In Unix, what is a symbolic link, and how do I create one? - Knowledge Base

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Understand output of "free" command

Hi Friends, I am really confused with the output of "free" command on redhat linux. I can see caching and buffer output on two different areas on the output. Please let me know whats the difference of these two different outputs. Here I am pasting the command output of my server. # free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't understand!

Hi All, can you please help me to figured out what's the meaning of this. ${SERVER_DATABASE} -b << EOF 2>>/dev/null THanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand grep output

In my directory I have two files and one subdirectory. When I run ls -l |grep -v ^d I get the following output: total 8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 254 Oct 3 16:00 file1.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 7167 Oct 11 15:46 file2.txt Can you explain what is total 8 if the number of files is 2 and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't understand script output

New to korn shel1 and having an issue. The following is suppose to read the parameter values from files in a source directory and then pass them on to a log file in a different directory, The ArchiveTracker scripts is suppose to call the parameterreader script to exact the parameter values and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
3 Replies
LN(1)								   User Commands							     LN(1)

NAME
ln - make links between files SYNOPSIS
ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET (2nd form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY (3rd form) ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET... (4th form) DESCRIPTION
In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. By default, each destination (name of new link) should not already exist. When creating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Symbolic links can hold arbitrary text; if later resolved, a relative link is interpreted in relation to its parent directory. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -d, -F, --directory allow the superuser to attempt to hard link directories (note: will probably fail due to system restrictions, even for the supe- ruser) -f, --force remove existing destination files -i, --interactive prompt whether to remove destinations -L, --logical dereference TARGETs that are symbolic links -n, --no-dereference treat LINK_NAME as a normal file if it is a symbolic link to a directory -P, --physical make hard links directly to symbolic links -r, --relative create symbolic links relative to link location -s, --symbolic make symbolic links instead of hard links -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY specify the DIRECTORY in which to create the links -T, --no-target-directory treat LINK_NAME as a normal file always -v, --verbose print name of each linked file --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is '~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups Using -s ignores -L and -P. Otherwise, the last option specified controls behavior when a TARGET is a symbolic link, defaulting to -P. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report ln translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
link(2), symlink(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/ln> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) ln invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 LN(1)