Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print only word not number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print only word not number Post 302849003 by alister on Friday 30th of August 2013 03:37:20 PM
Old 08-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Why use awk, grep, or sed when it can all be done with ksh built-ins:
One reason would be human readability.

Quote:
Code:
while IFS="" read x
do      if [ "$x" != "${x%*[!0-9]*}" ]
        then    printf "%s\n" "$x"
        fi
done < test.txt

The equivalent grep '[^0-9]' test.txt is instantly understandable, while that while-loop takes some time to digest.

Another reason is that the simpler the code the fewer the opportunities for surprises. Your while-loop, for example, would behave badly if there are backslashes in the data (the OP made no assurance against this possibility).

If I were going to do this with sh builtins, I would use case. To me it's more obvious.
Code:
case $x in
*[!0-9]*) printf '%s\n' "$x"
esac

Quote:
It would take a fairly large input file to make the invocation costs of starting up an external binary less expensive than the costs of running this simple loop in the shell.
Perhaps, but I would categorize that under premature optimization.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counts a number of unique word contained in the file and print them in alphabetical order

What should be the Shell script that counts a number of unique word contained in a file and print them in alphabetical order line by line? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word specific number of times

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is a shell command to print a word n number of times The Input File is : Cat 4 Bat 3 Zall 1 Kite 2 Output File required is : Cat Cat Cat Cat Bat Bat Bat Zall Kite (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ti Grep for a word and print the next word

Hi can we grep for a word and print the next word of the greped word? ex:- create or replace function function_name create function function_name we should search for word "function" and output next word "function_name" from both lines. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl lwp find word and print next word :)

hi all, I'm new there, I'm just playing with perl and lwp and I just successfully created a script for log in to a web site with post. I have a response but I would like to have something like this: I have in my response lines like: <div class="sender">mimi020</div> <some html code.....>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vogueestylee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word followed by exponential number and numeric number at the same time

Input file: ID_34 2E-69 2324 ID_1 0E0 3254 ID_1 0E0 5434 ID_5 0E0 436 ID_1 1E-14 2524 ID_1 5E-52 46437 ID_3 65E-20 45467 ID_1 0E0 6578 ... Desired output file: ID_1 0E0 6578 ID_1 0E0 5434 ID_1 0E0 3254 ID_1 5E-52 46437 ID_1 1E-14 2524 ID_3 65E-20 45467 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Search for a word and print the next word

Hi, I am trying to search for a word and print the next word. For example: My text is "<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure">" I am searching for "TYPE" and trying to print ="Lookup Procedure" I have written a code like following: echo $line | nawk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)