Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While loop within if statement Post 302848719 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 29th of August 2013 11:03:04 PM
Old 08-30-2013
OK you can try:

Code:
while [ "$month" != "q" ]
do
   echo "Please enter a month (q to quit)"
   read month
   if [ "$month" = "q" ]
   then
       echo "Now leaving loop"
   elif [ "$month" = "January" ]
   then
   else
      echo “This month does not exist.”
   fi
done

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in for loop of a string

I am attempting to pass a string into awk and loop through it, and then for every occurrance of a certain character perform an action. In this case, for example, echo 1 for each time character r is found in the string. Except I can't get it to work. Could someone please tell me why? echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in a while loop

#!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter while read n do echo $n >> datafile done question: How can I enject an if statement that if the users enter 0 (zero) the program will exit? this is what I have but not working #!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter number while read n do if $n=0 then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop statement - catch error

I'm having a question about for loops. (bash) I have the following for example: for file in `ls *.txt` do read file ... done Now when there is a file present there is no problem, now when there is no file present I get the following output in my standard mail box : "No such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumdev
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with IF statement with loop Shell Script

Hello I am very new to shell and I bought some books and trying to learn it. I started trying to write a script that will take a number and count it down to 1 with commas in between. This number can only be one argument. If lower than one or higher than one argument it sends an error message. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zero3ree
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Loop in Case Statement script

I am writing a bash script that asks the user for input and I need it to repeat until the user selects quit.. I dont know how to write the loop for it I searched all over but i still do not get it.. if anyone could help with this it would be greatly apprciated here is my script so far: #!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a loop in an if statement

Hey guys, a=`cat abc | wc -l` b=`cat def | wc -l` if $a== $b then echo "a" else echo "b" fi I want the if condition to retry itself , untill a==b. I can't use goto statemt. Please help. Thanx in advance. Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition and for loop within sed statement

Hi, I tried to go through a lot of online material but could not find concrete solution. My issues is like this : I've got a input file like this : <a> <startDate>19700101000000</startDate> <endDate>20300101000000</endDate> </a> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement in a for loop?

I need to match multiple values in a single column in a file: example: Source file: abd,123,one def,232,two ghi,987,six Target file: 12345,abcde,123 09876,zxvyr,566 56789,lmnop,232 Variable: var1=`grep 2 sourcefile | awk '{print$1}' essentially, echo "$var1" would read:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopfgeldjagar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Nesting if statement in for loop

I have the basic command written in bash for element in 1 2 do if ]; then set el = "t" else set el = "p" fi done but i get the following error syntax error near unexpected token `for' ` for element in 1 2' What should i do differently? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Loop statement within a batch script

I have to create a couple of files within a directory structure. Filename stays the same, but at the end of each file, the number appears. Example: File needs to be created within directory c:\temp File Name will stay the same (testfile), but extension will increase, starting at 01 - example... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HenkTrumpie
1 Replies
SH(1)							      General Commands Manual							     SH(1)

NAME
sh, ., break, case, cd, continue, eval, exec, exit, export, for, if, read, readonly, set, shift, trap, umask, wait, while - shell SYNOPSIS
sh [-eiknqstvxu] [-c str] [file] OPTIONS
-c Execute the commands in str -e Quit on error -i Interactive mode; ignore QUIT, TERMINATE, INTERRUPT -k Look for name=value everywhere on command line -n Do not execute commands -q Change qflag from sig_ign to sig_del -s Read commands from standard input -t Exit after reading and executing one command -v Echo input lines as they are read -x Trace -u Unset variables EXAMPLES
sh script # Run a shell script DESCRIPTION
Sh is the shell, which forms the user's main interface with the system. On startup, the shell reads /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile, if they exist, and executes any commands they contain. The Minix shell has most of the features of the V7 (Bourne) shell, including redirect- ion of input and output, pipes, magic characters, background processes, and shell scripts. A brief summary follows, but whole books have been written on shell programming alone. Some of the more common notations are: date # Regular command sort <file # Redirect stdin (standard input) sort <file1 >file2 # Redirect stdin and stdout cc file.c 2>error # Redirect stderr a.out >f 2>&1 # Combine standard output and standard error sort <file1 >>file2 #Append output to file2 sort <file1 >file2 & #Background job (ls -l; a.out) & # Run two background commands sequentially sort <file | wc # Two-process pipeline sort <f | uniq | wc # Three-process pipeline ls -l *.c # List all files ending in .c ls -l [a-c]* # List all files beginning with a, b, or c ls -l ? # List all one-character file names ls ? # List the file whose name is question mark ls '???' # List the file whose name is three question marks v=/usr/ast # Set shell variable v ls -l $v # Use shell variable v PS1='Hi! ' # Change the primary prompt to Hi! PS2='More: ' # Change the secondary prompt to More: ls -l $HOME # List the home directory echo $PATH # Echo the search path echo $? # Echo exit status of previous command in decimal echo $$ # Echo shell's pid in decimal echo $! # Echo PID of last background process echo $# # Echo number of parameters (shell script) echo $2 # Echo second parameter (shell script) echo "$2" # Echo second parameter without expanding spaces echo $* # Echo all parameters (shell script) echo $@ # Echo all parameters (shell script) echo "$@" # Echo all parameters without expanding spaces The shell uses the following variables for specific purposes: SHELL the path of the current shell HOME the default value for the cd(1) command PATH the directories to be searched to find commands IFS the internal field separators for command strings PS1 the primary shell prompt PS2 the secondary shell prompt There are various forms of substitution on the shell command line: `...` Command string between back-quotes is replaced by its output "..." Permits variable substitution between quotes '...' Inhibits variable substitution between quotes $VAR Replaced by contents of variable VAR ${VAR} Delimits variable VAR from any following string The expressions below depend on whether or not VAR has ever been set. If VAR has been set, they give: ${VAR-str} Replace expression by VAR, else by str ${VAR=str} Replace expression by VAR, else by str and set VAR to str ${VAR?str} Replace expression by VAR, else print str and exit shell ${VAR+str} Replace expression by str, else by null string If a colon is placed after VAR, the expressions depend on whether or not VAR is currently set and non-null. The shell has a number of built-in commands: : return true status . fn execute shell script fn on current path break [n] break from a for, until or while loop; exit n levels continue [n] continue a for, until or while loop; resume nth loop cd [dir] change current working directory; move to $HOME eval cmd rescan cmd, performing substitutions eval rescan the current command line exec cmd execute cmd without creating a new process exec <|> with no command name, modify shell I/O exit [n] exit a shell program, with exit value n export [var] export var to shell's children; list exported variables pwd print the name of the current working directory read var read a line from stdin and assign to var readonly [var] make var readonly; list readonly variables set -f set shell flag (+f unsets flag) set str set positional parameter to str set show the current shell variables shift reassign positional parameters (except ${0}) one left times print accumulated user and system times for processes trap arg sigs trap signals sigs and run arg on receipt trap list trapped signals umask [n] set the user file creation mask; show the current umask wait [n] wait for process pid n; wait for all processes The shell also contains a programming language, which has the following operators and flow control statements: # Comment The rest of the line is ignored = Assignment Set a shell variable && Logical AND Execute second command only if first succeeds || Logical OR Execute second command only if first fails (...) Group Execute enclosed commands before continuing for For loop (for ... in ... do ... done) case Case statement ((case ... ) ... ;; ... esac) esac Case statement end while While loop (while ... do ... done) do Do/For/While loop start (do ... until ...) done For/While loop end if Conditional statement (if ... else ... elif ... fi) in For loop selection then Conditional statement start else Conditional statement alternative elif Conditional statement end until Do loop end fi Conditional statement end SEE ALSO
echo(1), expr(1), pwd(1), true(1). SH(1)