Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Reducing Cores in T5240 server for meeting Oracle Core Licences Post 302848691 by os2mac on Thursday 29th of August 2013 08:47:49 PM
Old 08-29-2013
you need to configure Guest LDOMS and provide a portion of the vcpu resources to the guest

LDOMs and VM for Sparc are intended to allow you to partition the physical resources of the host into smaller manageable portions to allow for minimizing exposure for licensing purposes.

Oracle licenses are based on the number of cores available to the software for processing. Configuring a Guest LDOM and then only allow Xcores to be accessed by that LDOM will prevent you from having to license the whole server for use if you only need a smaller number of cores for processing that workload.

You've stated that your Sparc T5240 is configured with 4 cores (2 x cpu, 2 cores per cpu, 8 threads per core). So assuming you would only want to license 1/2 of those resources you need to build a Guest LDOM, assign it 16 VCPU and that will limit the resources to 1/2 of the available physical resources.

To do this you will need to create virtual infrastructure for the new LDOM (virtual networking, virtual disk servers, virtual disks,) and create the VM itself. This will require you to partition your disks and install an additional copy of the OS. I would recommend you use Solaris 11 if you can as the VM updates for that OS allow for a more robust config.

Hope this helps.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

help on loading licences in Alpha server

How to install the C / C++ Licences in Digial Alpha 2000 server? When i did try to load its giving a checksum error..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mukundt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi, I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me, 1)number of cpu's in a box 2)number of cores per cpu 3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2) I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven12
8 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

core temp all cores mac

a few months ago i downloaded a program from apple it was a core temp panel applet i had to reload and lost track of where i got it anyone familiar with it i liked it because it monitored all the cores ubuntu10.10 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thirnick
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Question: # of ldoms on T5240 with 2 T2 US 8 core

I have a T5240 with 2 T2 US 8 core.. Theoretically how many ldoms can I configure? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iftikhar Barrie
5 Replies
PAPI_hw_info_t(3)						       PAPI							 PAPI_hw_info_t(3)

NAME
PAPI_hw_info_t - Hardware info structure. SYNOPSIS
Data Fields int ncpu int threads int cores int sockets int nnodes int totalcpus int vendor char vendor_string [128] int model char model_string [128] float revision int cpuid_family int cpuid_model int cpuid_stepping int cpu_max_mhz int cpu_min_mhz PAPI_mh_info_t mem_hierarchy int virtualized char virtual_vendor_string [128] char virtual_vendor_version [128] float mhz int clock_mhz int reserved [8] Field Documentation int PAPI_hw_info_t::clock_mhz Deprecated int PAPI_hw_info_t::cores Number of cores per socket int PAPI_hw_info_t::cpu_max_mhz Maximum supported CPU speed int PAPI_hw_info_t::cpu_min_mhz Minimum supported CPU speed int PAPI_hw_info_t::cpuid_family cpuid family int PAPI_hw_info_t::cpuid_model cpuid model int PAPI_hw_info_t::cpuid_stepping cpuid stepping PAPI_mh_info_t PAPI_hw_info_t::mem_hierarchy PAPI memory heirarchy description float PAPI_hw_info_t::mhz Deprecated int PAPI_hw_info_t::model Model number of CPU char PAPI_hw_info_t::model_string[128] Model string of CPU int PAPI_hw_info_t::ncpu Number of CPUs per NUMA Node int PAPI_hw_info_t::nnodes Total Number of NUMA Nodes float PAPI_hw_info_t::revision Revision of CPU int PAPI_hw_info_t::sockets Number of sockets int PAPI_hw_info_t::threads Number of hdw threads per core int PAPI_hw_info_t::totalcpus Total number of CPUs in the entire system int PAPI_hw_info_t::vendor Vendor number of CPU char PAPI_hw_info_t::vendor_string[128] Vendor string of CPU char PAPI_hw_info_t::virtual_vendor_string[128] Vendor for virtual machine char PAPI_hw_info_t::virtual_vendor_version[128] Version of virtual machine int PAPI_hw_info_t::virtualized Running in virtual machine Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for PAPI from the source code. Version 5.2.0.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 PAPI_hw_info_t(3)