Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sizeof a file from directory path in perl Post 302847991 by wisecracker on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 08:36:05 AM
Old 08-28-2013
Code:
Last login: Wed Aug 28 13:27:05 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> cd /
AMIGA:barrywalker/> wc -c /Users/barrywalker/.bash_profile
      26 /Users/barrywalker/.bash_profile
AMIGA:barrywalker/> _

EDIT:

Oh bother...

Just noticed it is perl you wanted:-
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
exec "wc -c /Users/barrywalker/.bash_profile"

Results on screen using a Macbook Pro...
Code:
Last login: Wed Aug 28 15:00:19 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> perl exec_me.pl
      26 /Users/barrywalker/.bash_profile
AMIGA:barrywalker~> _

This assumes that everyone has read access to the hidden file...

Last edited by wisecracker; 08-28-2013 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Just realised perl was needed...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sizeof an array of structure without using 'sizeof' operator

Hi All, is it possible to find out the size of an array of structures ( without using 'sizeof' operator). The condition is we have the array of structure instant but we are not aware of the elements inside the structure. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl directory path in array

Hi anyone can help how put the directory in array in perl.eg directory paths below:- /home/user/ /home/admin/ /var/log/ IF path eq /home/user/ then the files moved to /data/user/ IF path eq /var/log/ then the files moved to /data/log/ Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netxus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy last modified directory from path using Perl

Hi I need to copy last modified directory from path /users/bin to be copied to /tmp in a perl script ...somehow my script is not allowing me to do cd /users/bin. i have tried $dir = `find /users/bin -maxdepth 1 -type d -mtime 0 ` cp -R $dir /tmp/new but it says missing destination... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaveta
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search/replace a directory path in a file using perl

Hello All, Here is what I am trying to do and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I have a file that contains the following string(s): WARNING: </d1/test/program1> did not find item1 WARNING: </d1/test/program1> item1 does not exist WARNING: </d1/test/program2> item1 failed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxshop
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i assign directory path to a variable in perl?

Hai how can I assign directory path to a variable in perl Thanks&Regards kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran425
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A file or directory in the path does not exist

I'm brand new to AIX and I looked up how to print this file and it was working but now I'm not able to do it all of a sudden. the file name is rom1.txt so this is what i wrote in the command line and I know I'm in the right directory. In bold is what I seem to be messing up with. prod @ root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark0Prince
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)

NAME
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream - DBD::Gofer transport for stdio streaming SYNOPSIS
DBI->connect('dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com;dsn=dbi:...',...) or, enable by setting the DBI_AUTOPROXY environment variable: export DBI_AUTOPROXY='dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com' DESCRIPTION
Without the "url=" parameter it launches a subprocess as perl -MDBI::Gofer::Transport::stream -e run_stdio_hex and feeds requests into it and reads responses from it. But that's not very useful. With a "url=ssh:username@host.example.com" parameter it uses ssh to launch the subprocess on a remote system. That's much more useful! It gives you secure remote access to DBI databases on any system you can login to. Using ssh also gives you optional compression and many other features (see the ssh manual for how to configure that and many other options via ~/.ssh/config file). The actual command invoked is something like: ssh -xq ssh:username@host.example.com bash -c $setup $run where $run is the command shown above, and $command is . .bash_profile 2>/dev/null || . .bash_login 2>/dev/null || . .profile 2>/dev/null; exec "$@" which is trying (in a limited and fairly unportable way) to setup the environment (PATH, PERL5LIB etc) as it would be if you had logged in to that system. The ""perl"" used in the command will default to the value of $^X when not using ssh. On most systems that's the full path to the perl that's currently executing. PERSISTENCE
Currently gofer stream connections persist (remain connected) after all database handles have been disconnected. This makes later connections in the same process very fast. Currently up to 5 different gofer stream connections (based on url) can persist. If more than 5 are in the cache when a new connection is made then the cache is cleared before adding the new connection. Simple but effective. TO DO
Document go_perl attribute Automatically reconnect (within reason) if there's a transport error. Decide on default for persistent connection - on or off? limits? ttl? AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, <http://www.tim.bunce.name> LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007, Tim Bunce, Ireland. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. SEE ALSO
DBD::Gofer::Transport::Base DBD::Gofer perl v5.16.2 2010-12-21 DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)