Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Reasons for NOT using LDOMs? reliability? Post 302847745 by User121 on Tuesday 27th of August 2013 04:33:02 PM
Old 08-27-2013
Question Reasons for NOT using LDOMs? reliability?

Dear Solaris Experts,

We are upgrading from sun4u to T4 systems and one proposal is to use LDOMs and also zones within LDOMs.

Someone advised using only zones and not LDOMs because the new machines have fewer chips and if a chip or a core fails then it doesn't impact the zones, but impacts the corresponding LDOMs.

What's the failure rate / probability of core failure on sun4v?

What are your experiences with the sun4v systems?

Do you avoid using LDOM for this or for any other reason?

Is a system with LDOMs inherently less reliable than one without, esp. since all guest LDOMs depend on the primary.

If each LDOM is given at least 2 cores each, then does that mitigate the total loss of the LDOM if one core is lost?

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Optimizing the system reliability

My product have around 10-15 programs/services running in the sun box, which together completes a task, sequentially. Several instances of the each program/service are running in the unix box, to manage the load and for risk-management reasons. As of now, we dont follow a strict strategy in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
2 Replies

2. Solaris

To find out the reasons it crash

What are the steps to find out the reasons it crash in the solaris machine (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepkv
3 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

High reliability web server - cluster, redundancy, etc

Hi. I am IT manager/developer for a small organization. I have been doing as-needed linux server administration for several years and am by no means an expert. I've built several of my own servers, and our org is currently using hosting services for our servers and I am relatively happy. We... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsaadmin
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Kubuntu on (certain) Lenovo laptops not possible - reasons?

Hi. I've used the Wubi install of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my Windows XP machine for close to half a year now. My brother has let me know of a program where he works by which they're getting rid of (with support negated) several Lenovo laptops, on which, he also informs me, the K 'flavor' of Ubuntu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
1 Replies

5. AIX

MPIO reliability

Hi, we have a vew boxes using MPIO and they are connected to some virtualization software managing some disk subsystems, offering volumes to the AIX boxes. Sometimes when a cable has been plugged out for a test or when a real problem occurs, using lspath to show the state of the paths shows... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
8 Replies
ZPRINT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ZPRINT(1)

NAME
zprint - show information about kernel zones SYNOPSIS
zprint [-w] [-s] [-c] [-h] [name] DESCRIPTION
zprint(1) displays data about Mach zones. By default, zprint will print out information about all Mach zones. If the optional name is specified, zprint will print information about each zone for which name is a substring of the zone's name. zprint interprets the following options: -w For each zone, zprint calculates how much space is allocated but not currently in use, the space wasted by the zone. -s zprint sorts the zones, showing the wasting the most memory first. -c (Default) zprint prints zone info in columns. Long zone names are truncated with '$', and spaces are replaced with '.', to allow for sorting by column. Pageable and collectible zones are shown with 'P' and 'C' on the far right. Zones with preposterously large maximum sizes are shown with '----' in the max size and max num elts fields. -h (Default) Shows headings for the columns printed with the -c option. It may be useful to override this option when sorting by col- umn. Any option (including default options) can be overridden by specifying the option in upper-case; for example, -C overrides the (default) option -c. SEE ALSO
host_zone_info(2). 27/02/87 ZPRINT(1)