Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem on capturing system Shutdown Post 302847643 by hakermania on Tuesday 27th of August 2013 01:51:25 PM
Old 08-27-2013
Thanks a lot for your answer. I cannot understand anything from the phrase
"POSIX.1-2004 (also known as POSIX.1-2001 Technical Corrigendum 2) requires an implementation to guarantee that the following functions can be safely called inside a signal handler:
list of functions
"
POSIZ.1-2004 requires an implementation? What does that mean? After I implement POSIX.1-2004 then I can safely call only the following functions that almost none of them have to do with writing to files?

Also, is there any way to exactly simulate shutdown for my process only so as not to shutdown my system all the time for testing purposes?

EDIT: Also, how come and the signal handler works each time if I send the SIGTERM? What different does the system do? I thought it sends SIGTERM through kill and waits a small timeout for the processes to end.

Last edited by hakermania; 08-27-2013 at 03:03 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing Oracle Shutdown error

Hi, Iam calling 3 sql scripts through one shell script 'rmia.sh'. Till now this was working fine, but last time while calling the SQL scripts, Oracle was down. But amazingly the exit status was '0' (success)!!! Below is the shell code: #!/usr/bin/ksh -x assign_file asql a.sql 1... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shutdown a system by MAC?

Ok here is the problem we have 2 v440 with same IP address running solars 9. one remains on the other remains off. They are both configured exactly the same for redundant purposes for the software we use. This was the best/worst idea. Great because down time is only a mere minutes. The bad is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
7 Replies

3. Solaris

logs for system shutdown

I am working on a SUN T2000 machine with Solaris 10 running on it. When I checked the system this morning, I found it to be turned off. The lastreboot command showed that the system had been shut down the previous night. I want to find out how the system was shut down. I have run hardware health... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batman727
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail on system shutdown

I want to only send a mail before my system goes for a shutdown or reboot. I don't want a mail when it comes up after a reboot or is normally started.. How can i achieve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

system restarts after shutdown!!

Hello, from last few days my laptop is not whutting down properly.. when ever i ty to shutdown it restarts again.. what may be problem?? antivirus is updated till date.. and i use windows xp sp2.... regards, deepak. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing awk's system(cmd) output

Hi everybody, I am working on a bigger awk script in which one part is comparing the size of two files. I want to evaluate which file is bigger and then just save the bigger one. I got it all working except for the part where I want to figure out which file is bigger; the one awk is currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iMeal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Shutdown system option

I am working on sunos solaris. I want to know which is good for system shut-down ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jitesh Varshney
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

shutdown system/myeclipse

Hi All, I have one situation to shut-down the system through shell script.I need script command to shut-down the system and process should end(safe-mode) the MyEclipse. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stsivaraj
0 Replies
kill(2) 							System Calls Manual							   kill(2)

Name
       kill - send signal to a process

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <signal.h>

kill(pid, sig)
       pid_t pid;
       int sig;

Description
       The  system  call sends the signal sig to a process specified by the process number pid.  The sig can be a signal specified in a call or it
       can be 0.  If the sig is 0, error checking is performed, but a signal is not sent.  This call can be used to check the validity of pid.

The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is  restricted  to  the  superuser  with  the
       exception of the signal SIGCONT.  The signal SIGCONT can always be sent to a child or grandchild of the current process.

If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group.

If  the process number is negative but not -1, the signal is sent to all processes whose process-group-id is equal to the absolute value of
       the process number.

The above two options are variants of

If the process number is -1, and the user is the superuser, the signal is broadcast for all processes except to system  processes  and  the
       process sending the signal.

Processes may send signals to themselves.

Environment
       System Five
       POSIX

When  your  program  is	compiled in the System V or POSIX environment, a signal is sent if either the real or effective uid of the sending
       process matches the real or saved-set-uid (as described in ) of the receiving process. In addition, any process can use a pid  of  -1,  and
       the signal is sent to all processes subject to these permission checks.

In POSIX mode, the pid argument is of type pid_t.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails under the following conditions:

[EINVAL]       The sig is not a valid signal number.

[EPERM]	      The  sending  process  is not the superuser, and its effective user ID does not match the effective user ID of the receiving
		      process.

[ESRCH]	      No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid.

See Also
       execve(2), getpgrp(2), getpid(2), killpg(2), sigvec(2), pause(3)

kill(2)