Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying/Adding in the DNS server entry using shell script Post 302847539 by VKIRUPHAKARAN on Tuesday 27th of August 2013 07:39:26 AM
Old 08-27-2013
Modifying/Adding in the DNS server entry using shell script

Dear Experts.

I need to add/modify the entries in the DNS server and this has to be achieved using shell script and below is the requirement, could you please let me know if a shell script can be written for this task?

Code:
1. Log in to primary DNS server
2. Check /etc/named.conf if zone is already created (grep –i 10.0.11 named.conf)
     Eg: if want to add server 10.0.11.13 in to DNS
zone "11.0.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
type master;
file "db.10.0.11";
};
3. If zone is already there go to /var/named
4. Then add server entry in file db.10.0.11
EG: 13 IN PTR servername.fg.net. And modify the serial number to yyyymmdd as below highlighted. 
Suppose if entry is made on 20th November enter the serial number as 20111120
root@PDNS1A101 # cat db.10.0.99
$TTL 5h
;SOA rec
99.0.10. in-addr.arpa. IN SOA PDNS1A101.fg.net. root.PDNS1A101.fg.net. ( 20090101; serial number ( you should change to 20111120)
10800; refresh every 3 hours
10800; retry every 3 hours
604800; expire after a week
86400) ; TTL of 1 day
; Name Servers
99.0.10.in-addr.arpa. IN NS PDNS1A101.fg.net.
;Pointer records for 10.0.99
11 IN PTR PSPROA167.fg.net.
12 IN PTR PSPROD055.fg.net.
5. Add entry in db.fg.net (please change serial number here also)
6. Restart dns service -- svcadm restart dns/server

Last edited by vbe; 08-27-2013 at 08:47 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Updating DNS entry

what files do I edit?? or what am trying to get at here is that is this process of updating dns entries relatively simple or very complicated. please tell me about the files that are involved (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a csv file from Shell Script

Hi all, I have some script that creates a temp csv file. What I need to do is do some search and replace and modify the file from my shell script. I know the commands to open the file and then apply the reg ex but wasnt sure how I could do this from a script and modify the file? Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat DNS Entry

I have a installed Redhat Linux v5 on a new HP Pavillon PC. It has a dual boot with Vista. Booting from Vista, I can connect to the internet. However with Redhat I cannot connect to the internet. I looked at the /etc/resolv.conf file in Redhat and there is no DNS entry there. From where do I... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnilAnand
28 Replies

4. Solaris

subdomain name entry in DNS server

Hi all, I'm tying to add dns a A record to a dns server running on Solaris 10 on sun's SPARC machine i want to do the following add host name to point to an IP address for a machine running win2k3 both machines have real IPs and exposed to the internet where can i add the A records on DNS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to add DNS entry in AIX 5.3

we have using windows 2003 server as DNS Server, now we want add dns entry in AIX 5.3 server. can any body help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balajipoola007
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a shell script without using an editor

Hi all, I really wan't to know that how to edit a shell script with out using an editor.. Is there any command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddhi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with shell script for modifying a user

#/bin/sh echo "enter the user name" read $username echo "Enter new home directory" read $newhd usermod -d $newhd $username ;; error while executing : enter the user name Rev Enter new home directory: /home/58745 usermod: option requires an argument -- 'd' Try `usermod --help' or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying contents of the file in shell script

Hello all, I have a Kconfig file that looks like something below ... ================================ menu "Application type" config GUI_TYPE_STANDARD bool "Standard Application" source "cfg/config/std.in" source... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the shell script to select pattern

Hello, I have script which work 70% of the desired task , the output from script.sh is following , however the desired output I require is following . Any piece of suggestion would be great.. thanks in advance, emily #!/bin/bash ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies

10. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies
CSV1(5) 							 MaraDNS reference							   CSV1(5)

NAME
csv1 - Format of the csv1 zone file that MaraDNS uses SPECIAL NOTE
The csv1 zone file format is supported primarily for MaraDNS users who already have zone files in the csv1 format. MaraDNS now supports a csv2 zone file format. Note that the csv1 zone file format will continue to function as long as I am MaraDNS' maintainer. SPECIAL CHARACTERS
| This delimits fields # This signifies a comment. Lines starting with this are ignored, otherwise it has no significance % This, in domain names, signifies that the rest of the domain name should be the name of this zone * This is translated to mean "any host name that otherwise does not resolve". It must be at the beginning of a domain name. This is used as an escape character, either to escape octal values such as '45' for %, or to escape the '%' character so it has no special meaning, or to escape the backslash character. NOTES ON PROCESSING
All domain-name labels are converted to their lower-case equivalents before processing is done. This is because domain-name literals in the database with one or more upper-case letters in them are case-sensitive. This is my way to resolve RFC1035 schizophrenic desire to both allow binary domain labels, and its desire to be case-insensitive. The file must first have a SOA record, followed by one or more NS records, followed by other records. The initial NS and SOA records must be RR for this zone. NS records after any non-NS record must be part of another zone. The resolution algorithm will not break if non-CNAME records share records with a CNAME record, but this is not a good idea to do. RR FORMAT
A domain name is a one-letter designation of its type, followed by the domain name separated by dots, ending with either a % or a trailing dot. If the domain name does not end with a % or trailing dot, an error is returned. SUPPORTED RR TYPES
MaraDNS only supports the following types of resource records (RRs) in csv1 files. More resource records types are supported in csv2 zone files; see csv2(5) for details. Letter Type RFC1035 section 3.2.2 value A A 1 N NS 2 C CNAME 5 S SOA 6 P PTR 12 @ MX 15 T TXT 16 U any determined in third field of line FORMAT OF SUPPORTED RR TYPES
Here are the formats, shown by letter name: A: Has three fields field one: the domain name field two: the ttl for the name in seconds field three: the ip address, in dotted decimal notation Example: Ahost.example.com.|7200|10.1.2.3 A records are described with grueling detail in RFC1035. In short, an A record is an IP address for a given host name. N: Has three fields field one: the domain name of the record field two: the ttl for the name in seconds field three: the domain name this NS points to. Example: Nexample.com.|86400|ns.example.com. NS (N here) records are described in RFC1035 C: Has three fields field one: the domain name of the record field two: the ttl for the name in seconds field three: the domain this CNAME record points to Example: Calias.example.org.|3200|realname.example.org. CNAME (which C is short for) records are described in RFC1035 S: Has nine fields field one: the domain name of the record field two: the TTL of the record field three: the origin of the domain. In other words, the name of the primary name server for the domain. field four: the email address for this domain (in the RFC822, not BIND format) field five: the serial for the domain field six: the refresh (how often to see updates) for the domain field seven: the retry (how often to try when down) for the domain field eight: the expire (how long before the slave gives up) for the domain field nine: the minimum (and default) TTL for the domain Example: Sexample.net.|86400|%|hostmaster@%|19771108|7200|3600|604800|1800 SOA (S here) records are described in RFC1035 P: has three fields field one: the IP we wish to point to (in in-addr.arpa form) field two: the ttl for the name in seconds field three: the FQDN for the IP in question Example: P3.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.|86400|ns.example.com. PTR (P here) records, which are used for reverse DNS lookups, are described in RFC1035. Note that one needs control of the appropriate in- addr.arpa subdomain to make PTR records visible on the internet at large. @: has four fields field one: The host that people send email to field two: the ttl for this record field three: The preference for this MX host field four: The name of this MX host Example: @example.com.|86400|10|mail.example.com. MX (@ here) records are described in RFC1035 T: has three fields field one: The host someone wants to get additional information about field two: the ttl for this record field three: The desired text. Any data becomes the record up until a new line is reached. The new line is not part of the TXT record Example: Texample.com.|86400|Example.com: Buy example products online TXT (T here) records are described in RFC1035 U: has four fields field one: The host someone wants a data type normally unsupported by MaraDNS for field two: the ttl for this record field three: The numeric code for this data type (33 for SRV, etc.) field four: The raw binary data for this data type Example: Uexample.com.|3600|40|100102Kitchen sink data The above example is a "Kitchen Sink" RR (see draft-ietf-dnsind-kitchen-sink-02.txt) with a "meaning" of 8, a "coding" of 1, a "subcoding" of 2, and a data string of "Kitchen sink data". Since this particular data type is not formalized in a RFC at this time, the most appropriate method of storing this data is by using the catch-all "unsupported" syntax. EXAMPLE CSV1 ZONE FILE # Example CSV1 zone file # This is what is known as a SOA record. All zone files need to have one # of these S%|86400|%|hostmaster@%|19771108|7200|3600|604800|1800 # These are known as authoritative NS records. All zone files need # one or more of these N%|86400|ns1.% N%|86400|ns2.% # Some IP addresses Ans1.%|86400|10.0.0.1 Ans2.%|86400|192.168.0.1 A%|86400|10.1.2.3 Amx.%|86400|10.1.2.4 # An 'IN MX' record @%|86400|10|mx.% LEGAL DISCLAIMER
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHORS ''AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. AUTHOR
Sam Trenholme http://www.samiam.org/ MARADNS
January 2002 CSV1(5)