Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Redhat Server hardware investment Post 302847155 by Corona688 on Monday 26th of August 2013 11:37:56 AM
Old 08-26-2013
The requirements for a small home server are quite small indeed. Even then, they depend on what you want to do with it.

Buying a commercial linux distribution is probably overkill.

I would try an inside-out strategy instead of outside-in... Start small, explore Linux, find out what it is, make it work for you, before turning it into a server. By then, you'll have a much better idea what you need. Otherwise, you're flying headfirst for a 'linux sucks' moment every time you paint yourself into a corner.

A cheap old desktop would be good.

I'm not sure what distribution to recommend. Things like Ubuntu may work well at first, and install easily, but you'll learn far less, and many things you do learn will be ubuntu things, not Linux in general.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-26-2013 at 12:44 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun server hardware questions

I have no experience with sun servers but for fun and experience I would like to buy a low-end server and play with things. I have a few questions that maybe some of you who use these things will be able to answer: - I believe they are also called PCI slots in the sun server, but are they the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Hardware error in Netra 440 server

Dear All I am getting these error while I boot the Netra 440 server. Could anyone tell me what can be the problem Regards Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Sun(tm) Advanced Lights Out Manager 1.5.4 (indcc01ma02) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
6 Replies

4. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

windows server hardware monitoring

:wall:hi all, as hp support pack has hpasm, hpacu command using in linux server to show and monitor hareware status. hpacu command was avaialbe in windows server also, but where can find hpasm command in windows, it looks hp support pack not support hpasm in windows. any one can help? an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxlee24
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

enable all operations to use a proxy server , redhat server

Hi, i would like to enable all operations/connections to use a proxy server in a redhat server , witch file should i config to get this for all conections .... Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Server Hardware Inventory Details

How can I get the hardware inventory details of the Sun Servers like T5220 running Solaris 10? I would like to see the following details: 1. Chassis Information - Part Number, Serial Number etc. 2. Slots Present in the chassis 3. Modules/Cards equipped on the slots. Module details like Part... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baddy
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Remote managemnt - looking at hardware issue (using ALOM ) Server rebooting

Hi we have A sun4v SPARC Enterprise T2000 It has started to go down frequently without producing any corefiles. There is nothing in the logs to induicate any issues. So I'm trying to remotely check this and get to see if there are any hardware issue. I heard about ALOm and I think this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
4 Replies
PHILOSOPHY(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PHILOSOPHY(1)

NAME
PDL::Philosophy -- what's behind PDL? DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to summarize some of the common spirit between pdl developers in order to answer the question "Why PDL"? If you are a PDL developer and I haven't caught your favorite ideas about PDL, please let me know! An often-asked question is: Why not settle for some of the existing systems like Matlab or IDL or GnuPlot or whatever? Major ideas The first tenet of our philosophy is the "free software" idea: software being free has several advantages (less bugs because more people see the code, you can have the source and port it to your own working environment with you, ... and of course, that you don't need to pay anything). The second idea is a pet peeve of many: many languages like matlab are pretty well suited for their specific tasks but for a different application, you need to change to an entirely different tool and regear yourself mentally. Not to speak about doing an application that does two things at once... Because we use Perl, we have the power and ease of perl syntax, regular expressions, hash tables etc at our fingertips at all times. By extending an existing language, we start from a much healthier base than languages like matlab which have grown into existence from a very small functionality at first and expanded little by little, making things look badly planned. We stand by the Perl sayings: "simple things should be simple but complicated things should be possible" and "There is more than one way to do it" (TIMTOWTDI). The third idea is interoperability: we want to be able to use PDL to drive as many tools as possible, we can connect to OpenGL or Mesa for graphics or whatever. There isn't anything out there that's really satisfactory as a tool and can do everything we want easily. And be portable. The fourth idea is related to PDL::PP and is Tuomas's personal favorite: code should only specify as little as possible redundant info. If you find yourself writing very similar-looking code much of the time, all that code could probably be generated by a simple perl script. The PDL C preprocessor takes this to an extreme. Minor goals and purposes We want speed. Optimally, it should ultimately (e.g. with the Perl compiler) be possible to compile PDL::PP subs to C and obtain the top vectorized speeds on supercomputers. Also, we want to be able to calculate things at near top speed from inside perl, by using dataflow to avoid memory allocation and deallocation (the overhead should ultimately be only a little over one indirect function call plus couple of ifs per function in the pipe). We want handy syntax. Want to do something and cannot do it easily? Tell us about it... We want lots of goodies. A good mathematical library etc. AUTHOR
Copyright(C) 1997 Tuomas J. Lukka (lukka@fas.harvard.edu). Redistribution in the same form is allowed but reprinting requires a permission from the author. perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 PHILOSOPHY(1)