Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut a string for last 8 characters Post 302846921 by Scrutinizer on Monday 26th of August 2013 03:50:19 AM
Old 08-26-2013
Try:
Code:
for i in *.tpt.ctl
do
  var=${i%.tpt.ctl}
  printf "%s\n" "$var"
done

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello, I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length. For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut first 21 and 32-25 characters from file

Guys, can you help me in doing cut first 21 and 32-35 characters from file. I tried with cut -c to cut first 21 characters ,It is succeeded. But i need both first 21 and 32-35. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the last 15 characters off

Hi Gurus, I am trying to execute the below command. However the output shows the value + path of the folder where the command is being executed. But I am only interested in the value but not the path. du -hs /aps/inf/SeLogs when I execute the above command, output is 32G... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 7 characters of a variable

I need to cut the last seven characters of a variable length variable. The variable may be 7 characters or 70. I need to always be able to grab the last 7 characters. I looked at the cut command but it always seems to want to start at the beginning of a line, not the end and count backwards. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kblawson14
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reorder the Cut characters

Hi, I have a fixed width flatfile, I want to view this file specific to it's character position and in order I want to...example as below ABCDE.txt 01COLTSMANNING18 02PATS BRADY 12 03PACKSROGERS 12I used unix cut command to see specific field based on length but unable to order them as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut add characters

i have following fixed width text(also has a delimiter) id;name;age;comments1;comments2;title;date to get output as id;name;age;;;title;date (remove comments but keep the delimiter in between) i use cut -c1-12,22,32- suppose if i want to insert another ; somewhere like ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petergemeni
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed cut characters of string

helloo I wonder if there's a way to cut characters out of a string and keep only the last 2 by using sed. For example if there's the todays' date: 2012-05-06 and we only want to keep the last 2 characters which are the day. Is there a quick way to do it with sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut wildcard characters from a string

Hello All, I have to write a shell logic inside my ANT Script , the data from my ANT is in the string like string a = "test1.props,test2.props,*,test3.props,?,test4,props" how do i remove this wild card characters from my string a and assign them to an other string , like i only want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raokl
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
EDAC-CTL(8)							EDAC admin utility						       EDAC-CTL(8)

NAME
edac-ctl - EDAC admin utility SYNOPSIS
edac-ctl [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
The edac-ctl program is a perl(1) script which performs some useful administration tasks for EDAC (Error Detection and Correction) drivers. OPTIONS
--help Display a brief usage message. --mainboard Print mainboard vendor and model for this hardware, if available. The method used by edac-ctl to obtain the mainboard vendor and model information for the current system is described below in the MAINBOARD CONFIGURATION section. --status Print the status of EDAC drivers (loaded or unloaded). --register-labels Register motherboard DIMM labels into EDAC driver sysfs files. This option uses the detected mainboard manufacturer and model num- ber in combination with a "labels database" found in any of the files under /etc/edac/labels.d/* or in the labels.db file at /etc/edac/labels.db. An entry for the current hardware must exist in the labels database for this option to do anything. --print-labels Display the configured labels for the current hardware, as well as the current labels registered with EDAC. --labeldb=DB Specify an alternate location for the labels database. MAINBOARD CONFIGURATION
The edac-ctl script uses the following method to determine the current system's mainboard vendor and model information: 1. If the config file /etc/edac/mainboard exists, then it is parsed by edac-ctl. The mainboard config file has the following simple syn- tax: vendor = <mainboard vendor string> model = <mainboard model string> script = <script to gather mainboard information> Where anything after a '#' character on a line is considered a comment. If the keyword script is specified, then that script or exe- cutable is run by edac-ctl to gather the mainboard vendor and model information. The script should write the resulting information on stdout in the same format as the mainboard config file. 2. If no mainboard config file exists, then edac-ctl will attempt to read DMI information from the sysfs files /sys/class/dmi/id/board_vendor /sys/class/dmi/id/board_name 3. If the sysfs files above do not exist, then edac-ctl will fall back to parsing output of the dmidecode(8) utility. Use of this utility will most often require that edac-ctl be run as root. SEE ALSO
edac(3), edac-util(1) edac-utils-0.18-1 2011-11-09 EDAC-CTL(8)