Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Loading AIX kernel extensions on reboot Post 302846245 by MichaelFelt on Friday 23rd of August 2013 09:16:07 AM
Old 08-23-2013
This is a complex topic - and I was thinking you wanted to write your own extension, so I did not say anything yet.

However, where the information is stored for device driver loads at startup is in the odm class Config_Rules.

AIX starts in three phases:
phase 1: before rootvg is varyon
phase 2: varyon of rootvg
phase 3: rootvg is varyon (and top of /etc/inittab is now active; phase 1 and phase 2 is managed by the script /sbin/rc.boot)

To list the three phases of Config_Rules - coursely
Code:
for i in 1 2 3
do
    opdget -q phase=$i Config_Rules
done

Also study the file /sbin/rc.boot.

Hope this helps - and if so - Enjoy! Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loading redhat causes system to reboot over and over

Hi folks, I tried to load a copy of redhat from CD to an HP6640C. The system reads the first disk and offers me a choice to use the graphic load or the text load. I selct either one and the system seems to start reading the disk then it reboots. It does not give me any errors and except that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alkazjazz
0 Replies

2. Linux

problem with kernel module loading

Hi masters, I am new to linux and unix forum and this is my first forum. So please excuse if I am not giving sufficient information. I will give them on request. I have created a bandwidth manager module. I am using a 2.6.9 kernel and in Red Hat 3.4.3 distribution. But when i run make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

RHEL5 reboot - error loading shared library

Hi All, I have RHEL 5 installed in my system. Something must has happened because when i reboot the server, it came with many error.. /usr/bin/rhgb-client -- error while loading shared libraries: libpopt.so.0. Can't open shared object files. No such file/directory It finnaly ends with the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to automatically reboot to newly compiled kernel with fallback

Hi, I'm new here. Just started playing around with kernel compilation. I need a little bit of advice. I'm trying to do a bash script to automatically compile a kernel package and reboot to that new kernel by default, with fallback to the old kernel. So far, I'm getting stuck at the part... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tridus_08
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Kernel panic after hard reboot and fsck

Could you please help with problem with megaraid controller and Dell PowerEdge 2850, all that I can see on thi screenshot: All drives successfuly passed verifing from LSI controllers (Ctrl+A at startup), also I tried to boot from rescue llive cd and mount all the morrored drives and check... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikkadim
22 Replies

6. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Grub is not loading the correct kernel

All I am trying to get RHEL 5.4 to load to the XEN enabled kernel but I am not having much luck. My grub.conf looks like it has 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5xen as the 1st one but when I do a uname -a I get the NON xen enabled kernel. I know I am doing something stupid but if anybody has any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razor3928
1 Replies

8. Linux

Disable loading kernel modules

Hi, I am running CentOS 6.5 and I want to remove auto loading 8021q and garp modules, but there are no configure files in /etc/modprobe.d define bot modules. I even added both module names to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, both of them are still loaded after the reboot. How can I disable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX : Find files ignoring certain file extensions

Hi All, I am scripting a program to find and archive files. There are certain file types that I do not want to archive. Below is the scenario. I have created a lookup file which has details on folders days and file extensions that needs to be ignored I have separated the individual into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavinmjr
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Update kernel Linux without reboot?!

Hi Is it a way ? When Linux kernel updated that don't want reboot it means without reboot the new kernel performances Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
7 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)