Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl write and read on same file Post 302845615 by royalibrahim on Thursday 22nd of August 2013 02:43:45 AM
Old 08-22-2013
Perl write and read on same file

Hi,

I am trying to do a write operation followed by a read operation on the same file through Perl, expecting the output produced by read to contain the new lines added, as follows:

Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

open FH, "+< testfile" or die "$@";
print FH  "New content added\n";
while (my $line = <FH>) {
    print "$line";
}
close(FH);

but the above code is sometimes corrupting the file's data (like replacing, globbering spaces etc.,). I have tried to flush the buffer but to no avail:
Code:
open FH, "+>> testfile" or die "$@";
$| = 1;
print FH  "New content added\n";
while (my $line = <FH>) {
    print "$line";
}
FH->autoflush(1);
close(FH);

I have even changed the mode to '+>', '+>>', but nothing works (i.e) the output is not printed with the lines recently added unless I close the file handle and reopen the file for reading.

Kindly help me how to modify the above Perl code to see the contents that are added by the previous write operation without closing the handle. Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write from a file

I have tried to show the file name whose size is greater than 200 byte in current directory. Please help me. ls -l | tr -s " " " " | cut -f 5,9 -d " " >out.txt #set -a x `cat out.txt` i=0 `cat out.txt` | while do read x echo $x #re=200 j=0 if }" < "200" ] then echo $j j=`expr $j... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl -write values in a file to @array in perl

Hi can anyone suggest me how to write a file containing values,... say 19 20 21 22 .. 40 to an array @array = (19, 20, ... 40) -- Thanks (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl read and write to conf file

Hi Everyone, There is a perl file: a.pl ============ #!/usr/bin/perl my $config_file = $ARGV; open CONFIG, "$config_file" or die "Program stopping, couldn't open the configuration file '$config_file'.\n"; my $config = join "", <CONFIG>; close CONFIG; eval $config; die "Couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check read/write/execute permission for 'others'

I want to check access rights permissions not for 'user', not for 'group', but for 'others'. I want to do it by system command in which i want to use 'ls -l' and 'awk' command. I have written the following program : #!/usr/bin/local/perl #include <stdlib.h> system ("ls -l | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Read and Write

I have got a file in following format: AAAAAAA BBBBBBBB CCCCCCC DDDDDDD I am trying to read this file and out put it in following format: AAAAAAA,BBBBBBB,CCCCCCC,DDDDDD Preferred method is shell or Perl. Any help appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Araoki
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and write in the file

Hello Guys, How all are doing? I have an issue in Unix and want help from all of you I have a file in UNIX which it read by line by line , If at the end of line '0' is written the it should fetch that line into another file and change '0' to '1' and If at the end of line '1' is written then it... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a perl script to read and write the data

Hi, I have on Designdocument in that information is stored with in tabular format.I need Perlscript to read and write the datausing perl script? Regards, Ravi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: toravi.pentaho
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a UNIX/perl script to read and write the data

Hi, I have on Designdocument in that information is stored with in tabular format.I need Perl/unix script to read and write the data using perl script? Regards, Ravi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toravi.pentaho
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/write perl file

Hi I am trying to build a web form where it can take the input from the user and write it to a file. And when I will open that form again that for should read the file that was created at the 1st step and all the fields should auto populate from that file. I have 20 text fields in my form. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sauravrout
1 Replies
Encode::PerlIO(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Encode::PerlIO(3pm)

NAME
Encode::PerlIO -- a detailed document on Encode and PerlIO Overview It is very common to want to do encoding transformations when reading or writing files, network connections, pipes etc. If Perl is config- ured to use the new 'perlio' IO system then "Encode" provides a "layer" (see PerlIO) which can transform data as it is read or written. Here is how the blind poet would modernise the encoding: use Encode; open(my $iliad,'<:encoding(iso-8859-7)','iliad.greek'); open(my $utf8,'>:utf8','iliad.utf8'); my @epic = <$iliad>; print $utf8 @epic; close($utf8); close($illiad); In addition, the new IO system can also be configured to read/write UTF-8 encoded characters (as noted above, this is efficient): open(my $fh,'>:utf8','anything'); print $fh "Any x{0021} string N{SMILEY FACE} "; Either of the above forms of "layer" specifications can be made the default for a lexical scope with the "use open ..." pragma. See open. Once a handle is open, its layers can be altered using "binmode". Without any such configuration, or if Perl itself is built using the system's own IO, then write operations assume that the file handle accepts only bytes and will "die" if a character larger than 255 is written to the handle. When reading, each octet from the handle becomes a byte-in-a-character. Note that this default is the same behaviour as bytes-only languages (including Perl before v5.6) would have, and is sufficient to handle native 8-bit encodings e.g. iso-8859-1, EBCDIC etc. and any legacy mechanisms for handling other encodings and binary data. In other cases, it is the program's responsibility to transform characters into bytes using the API above before doing writes, and to transform the bytes read from a handle into characters before doing "character operations" (e.g. "lc", "/W+/", ...). You can also use PerlIO to convert larger amounts of data you don't want to bring into memory. For example, to convert between ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) and UTF-8 (or UTF-EBCDIC in EBCDIC machines): open(F, "<:encoding(iso-8859-1)", "data.txt") or die $!; open(G, ">:utf8", "data.utf") or die $!; while (<F>) { print G } # Could also do "print G <F>" but that would pull # the whole file into memory just to write it out again. More examples: open(my $f, "<:encoding(cp1252)") open(my $g, ">:encoding(iso-8859-2)") open(my $h, ">:encoding(latin9)") # iso-8859-15 See also encoding for how to change the default encoding of the data in your script. How does it work? Here is a crude diagram of how filehandle, PerlIO, and Encode interact. filehandle <-> PerlIO PerlIO <-> scalar (read/printed) / Encode When PerlIO receives data from either direction, it fills a buffer (currently with 1024 bytes) and passes the buffer to Encode. Encode tries to convert the valid part and passes it back to PerlIO, leaving invalid parts (usually a partial character) in the buffer. PerlIO then appends more data to the buffer, calls Encode again, and so on until the data stream ends. To do so, PerlIO always calls (de|en)code methods with CHECK set to 1. This ensures that the method stops at the right place when it encounters partial character. The following is what happens when PerlIO and Encode tries to encode (from utf8) more than 1024 bytes and the buffer boundary happens to be in the middle of a character. A B C .... ~ x{3000} .... 41 42 43 .... 7E e3 80 80 .... <- buffer ---------------> << encoded >>>>>>>>>> <- next buffer ------ Encode converts from the beginning to x7E, leaving xe3 in the buffer because it is invalid (partial character). Unfortunately, this scheme does not work well with escape-based encodings such as ISO-2022-JP. Let's see what happens in that case in the next chapter. BUGS
Now let's see what happens when you try to decode from ISO-2022-JP and the buffer ends in the middle of a character. JIS208-ESC x{5f3e} A B C .... ~ e $ B |DAN | .... 41 42 43 .... 7E 1b 24 41 43 46 .... <- buffer ---------------------------> << encoded >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> As you see, the next buffer begins with x43. But x43 is 'C' in ASCII, which is wrong in this case because we are now in JISX 0208 area so it has to convert x43x46, not x43. Unlike utf8 and EUC, in escape-based encodings you can't tell if a given octet is a whole charac- ter or just part of it. There are actually several ways to solve this problem but none of them is fast enough to be practical. From Encode's point of view, the easiest solution is for PerlIO to implement a line buffer instead of a fixed-length buffer, but that makes PerlIO really complicated. So for the time being, using escape-based encodings in the ":encoding()" layer of PerlIO does not work well. Workaround If you still insist, you can at least use ":encoding()" by making sure the buffer never gets full. Here is an example. use FileHandle; binmode(STDOUT, ":encoding(7bit-jis)"); STDOUT->autoflush(1); # don't forget this! for my $l (@lines){ # $l cannot be longer than 1023 bytes print $l; } How can I tell whether my encoding fully supports PerlIO ? As of this writing, any encoding whose class belongs to Encode::XS and Encode::Unicode works. The Encode module has a "perlio_ok" method which you can use before appling PerlIO encoding to the filehandle. Here is an example: my $use_perlio = perlio_ok($enc); my $layer = $use_perlio ? "<:raw" : "<:encoding($enc)"; open my $fh, $layer, $file or die "$file : $!"; while(<$fh>){ $_ = decode($enc, $_) unless $use_perlio; # .... } SEE ALSO
Encode::Encoding, Encode::Supported, Encode::PerlIO, encoding, perlebcdic, "open" in perlfunc, perlunicode, utf8, the Perl Unicode Mailing List <perl-unicode@perl.org> perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Encode::PerlIO(3pm)