Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Validation of mounting and unmounting Post 302845129 by learnbash on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 02:14:10 AM
Old 08-21-2013
Validation of mounting and unmounting

Hi folks,

I have below code for unmounting, but i need validation filesystem is unmounted or not, if not it give us error. Please confirm below code or need modification. Please suggest.

Code:
umount /oradata

if [ $? -eq 0 ]

then
     echo "/oradata Unmounted Successfully"

else
     echo "Problem in umounting /oradata Please Check."
fi

Same is for mounting purpose. Please suggest.

Code:
mount /dev/xxx/vol1 /oradata

if [ $? -eq 0 ]

then
     echo "/oradata mounted Successfully"

else
     echo "Problem in mounting /oradata Please Check."
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unmounting a cd in Solaris

I am having a rough time with unmounting a CD on a Solaris box. I am installing Oracle 8.1.7 for someone, and everything was going swell until the system tells me to put in CD 2. When I try to eject CD 1, nothing happens because the CD is still mounted. I looked on the man pages for rmmount to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unmounting /home Permanently

Hi! I got tired of running out of disk space on the different partitions on my Solaris 8 Ultra 5 computer so I tried to make just a big / partition and install everything on that. But somehow I managed to get a 0 byte /home partition :-) I tried to delete this (By just clicking it in X-Windows and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
8 Replies

3. AIX

unmounting problem

Hello, can someone help me with the problem am facing unmounting a filesystem I wanted to unmount /oradata cause i created it with a larger size and wanted to umount it , delete the fs and create again with less size. i have done below but nothing so far. 1) iam not in /oradata directory 2) i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validation

I'm kinda new in shell scripting. How do i validate an input from a user to conform to requirement. For example, echo "Enter First Name: " read FName echo "Enter Date of Employment (dd/mm/yyyy): " read DoE If the user enters data that is alphanumeric, it accepts it. I hope i've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allenzo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validation help

Hi, I am new to Unix shell scripting and need help to add some validation to an existing script. I've made a script that takes two argument (input) but I want the script to display an error message when nothing (null) is entered. So far I managed to validate the fist argument but fail to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Name validation

Hi All, I need to write a small piece of code to check the following. name should contain (A-Z), spaces, hyphens & apostrophes I need to generate regular expressions for the same. Please help me out as i am not familiar with regular expressions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifzgud
1 Replies

7. AIX

Unmounting a failed NFS mount

I have an NFS file system mounted on one of my AIX servers with "mount -v cifs".. The server from which the file system was mounted has crashed and now my "df -g" output is hanging. Is there any was to unmount this NFS file system? I have tried "umount -f". Doesn't work. Or is there any way in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibhore
6 Replies

8. AIX

Error unmounting a remote mounted file system

Hi All, I'm facing an issue while trying to unmount a remotely mounted file system, strangely it's not even getting mounted, Kindly find the reply messages. Mounting error msg nfsmnthelp: 1831-019 <Server host>: Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted. mount: 1831-008... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishekag
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value validation

Hi All I am trying to validate a value using if condition requirement is need to check whether its a valid numeric value the input contains ( space, #N/A and negative and positive decimal values and Zeros) if it contains the space, I need to display the error message as space ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unmounting NFS idle clients from server

Hello World, We have a software repository server in our environment which we use as an NFS server. Now this has been going on well before I was hired. Now, I observed many users not unmounting the NFS resources after their use. I ran showmount and it showed 513 current sessions. :wall: Is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
7 Replies
MOUNT(2)							System Calls Manual							  MOUNT(2)

NAME
mount, umount - mount or umount a file system SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/mount.h> int mount(char *special, char *name, int flag) int umount(char *name) DESCRIPTION
Mount() tells the system that the file system special is to be mounted on the file name, effectively overlaying name with the file tree on special. Name may of any type, except that if the root of special is a directory, then name must also be a directory. Special must be a block special file, except for loopback mounts. For loopback mounts a normal file or directory is used for special, which must be seen as the root of a virtual device. Flag is 0 for a read-write mount, 1 for read-only. Umount() removes the connection between a device and a mount point, name may refer to either of them. If more than one device is mounted on the same mount point then unmounting at the mount point removes the last mounted device, unmounting a device removes precisely that device. The unmount will only succeed if none of the files on the device are in use. Both calls may only be executed by the super-user. SEE ALSO
mount(1), umount(1). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MOUNT(2)